Has anyone used the Ubiquiti UniFi Dream Machine Pro?

autumn

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Ubiquiti UniFi Dream Machine Pro?

So I need to replace the routers at a customer with 2 sites. They have a VPN between the sites.

Main site has, 15 odd computers, with 2 servers, RDP, SBS (Yes I know, lets not go there ATM). RDP is for LOB that is on-prem (this won't change either). 1 internet connection, that has their phones through it as well. This site has wifi but limited use.

Secondary site, 6 computers, NAS, all RDP in to main site via VPN, 3 outlook clients back to SBS, 2 internet connections, 1 internet/RDP, 2 phones. No wifi needed here.

Internet modems on both ends are setup as DMZ to current routers. This is done as the provider suppliers backup SIM's as failover. The SIM's are only coded to the supplied modem.

Anyway, I can get the above but I have never used it.

Yes, quite a few of them lately. Just installed one at a campground yesterday...along with some airmax radios and outdoor mesh pros.

I prefer to not use the integrated cloud controller, we prefer to use Hostifi. So one drawback of the Dream Machine, and Dream Machine Pro, is..they have the built in Unifi controller, built in video Protect, built in Access, and built in Voice for the phones.

I prefer the Unifi gateways that allowed you to provision them to your own controller, like Hostifi, but UI has not been supplying the USG-3p or USG-Pro-4 for quite a while (we're assuming they've been disco'd). However UI finally released Next Generation Gateway Pro (UXG-Pro)...so we've stocked up on those. It's basically the Dream Machine Pro, minus the built in cloud key and other apps...minus the built in 8 port switch.

I use Ubiquiti's gateways for clients with simple needs. In the earlier days of the Unifi gateways, we did a few setups with the VPNs...both site to site VPN and remote worker VPN. Back then, I found the VPN to....not be the most reliable. Sometimes a remote worker would fire up the VPN, and it would fail to connect. Had to reboot the USG or USG Pro. For my clients with VPN needs I use Untangle anyways (Love Wireguard VPN or heck even OpenVPN). I have not tried the VPN of the current generation of Unifi gateways....perhaps it has gotten more stable.

Just remembered, one of the guys here at my office recently had a client VPN in to hit their LOB app, is still a USG (he plans on putting in a UXG-Pro)....I think around 25 remote users, I'll ask him how the VPN has been working for them in recent times. (save for the Windows bug a few months ago that killed the L2TP VPN...not the fault of Unifi).

Just remembered, one of the guys here at my office recently had a client VPN in to hit their LOB app, is still a USG (he plans on putting in a UXG-Pro)....I think around 25 remote users, I'll ask him how the VPN has been working for them in recent times. (save for the Windows bug a few months ago that killed the L2TP VPN...not the fault of Unifi).
Cool, thanks. I just got an alert saying I can preorder the UXG-PRO. In your option it sound like you would suggwest that over the Dream Machine?

I have sort of stayed away from the software or cloud VPN, honestly I don/t know why. Any with your suggestions above does each workstation at the remote site connect in or only one machine which controls the VPN? It's probably a basic question but as I said I have styed away from them.

Yeah I prefer a dedicated router that can be provisioned to Hostifi....over one with those built in controllers.
Far less to go wrong with a Unifi network if you use a hosted controller. The onboard (Cloud Keys) can get cranky too often.

They're in stock at UI.com.....but not sure how that works across the pond of you.

Back