A fun project....summertime mansions....1x Starlink getting installed, share to 4x buildings

YeOldeStonecat

Reaction score
So this island just off the short of my original home state....I've been lucky enough to have pretty much exclusive rights to most of the IT work out there for the past 30 years. Yup, I can go back to supporting Novell servers and DOS workstations out there.

Same island I provided 150 meg internet from the mainland to the school out there, over 6.2 miles of ocean.
There is a family that has a name known for generations, their summer home out there....a family compound with 4 buildings. Right now each building has the local island ISP DSL, usually about 2-3 megs on a good day. I'll be installing Starlink at building #2, installing wifi all around building 2...and then spreading the link to buildings 1, 3, and 4...via three Unifi Building Bridge kits (UBB). (blue links)....I'm bringing 4x kits..keeping 1 as a spare onsite.

Dream Machine Pro and USW 24 Pro at building 2....quite a few Mesh6 and Swiss Army Knife access points around the interior....
Each satellite building to have USW16 switches....and several more APs...mixture of Mesh6 and Swiss Army Knife APs.
Estimated 3x day install....bringing our electrician subcontractor for 2 of those days, and I'll sleep over in one of the guest houses for at least one night. Ferry to the island is 0700 over (arrive at 0630)..with 1645 departure back to mainland (get there by 1615)...so that makes for a short day of actual work. There is a late ferry home too, after 1900...but at that point, I've slept over on the island before and it just allows you to be more rested the next day.

Starting to prep the equipment at my office....should be going out for the install in about 2 weeks.
RoughSketch.JPG

Yeah, the view from down by their dock...(right in front of one of the houses)....not bad. And they have their own beach too...

waterview.JPG
beach.JPG

@YeOldeStonecat I'd be tempted to come up with something more complicated if for no other reason than to spend more time there, looks like heaven to me!

All I get to look at round here are rocks, dirt, and the few green things around tend to be rather pointy. ;)

Yeah it's a nice island...I am going to miss it. It's called "Fishers Island"...and although it is just offshore of south east Connecticut...it's actually part of New York...spits off the very tip of Long Island. Good laid back people out there..the year rounders (about 300). The summer population explodes in the summer...as the rich people come over for the summer...many "big names" known 'round the world. A lot of old old school money families too.

In 5 weeks I'm moving to FL for good. There is a similar island nearby....just down the road from where I just rented an office space for our new southern office....and that island is called Boca Grande. Small world-ish...many of the upper crust people from Fishers Island...also go to Boca Grand.

Yeah it's a nice island...I am going to miss it. It's called "Fishers Island"...and although it is just offshore of south east Connecticut...it's actually part of New York...spits off the very tip of Long Island. Good laid back people out there..the year rounders (about 300). The summer population explodes in the summer...as the rich people come over for the summer...many "big names" known 'round the world. A lot of old old school money families too.
Built back when the rich really were rich. ie no income taxes.

Reminds me of a friend in college. His Paternal grandfather started some manufacturing outfit in OH around the turn of the last century. Did very, very well. Built a home on Lake Michigan near Traverse City. An area favored by wealthy upper midwest. families. 8 bed house with another 4 bed guest house on some 10 acres. When I was there in the mid '70's the couple who were care takers had been doing that for some 45 years. Opening it up and taking care of all the family and their visitors.

Built back when the rich really were rich. ie no income taxes.

Reminds me of a friend in college. His Paternal grandfather started some manufacturing outfit in OH around the turn of the last century. Did very, very well. Built a home on Lake Michigan near Traverse City. An area favored by wealthy upper midwest. families. 8 bed house with another 4 bed guest house on some 10 acres. When I was there in the mid '70's the couple who were care takers had been doing that for some 45 years. Opening it up and taking care of all the family and their visitors.

I spent a few years growing up in TC. A lot of that old money has moved a bit farther north now to Petoskey. My step-mom still lives in TC.

Back