[REQUEST] Gaming PC Loses Monitor Signal After ~1 Hour

Appletax

Reaction score
Customer states that their kid's gaming PC will lose connection to the monitor after ~1 hour of gaming.
The last time they tried using it it wouldn't boot up at all.

I haven't found any issues thus far.

They tried:
  • Different PC with monitor.
  • Different cables.

I tried:
  • Testing PSU with Cable Master PSU tester.
  • Discovered the GPU power cable was ever so slightly loose.
  • PassMark's BurnInTest Pro.
  • MemTest86 Pro.
  • DisplayPort cable (hole was never unplugged so they never used it).
  • Blew out internal dust (wasn't bad).
  • Verified that the power savings settings were not set to put the computer to sleep (currently set to high performance).
  • 3 hours of Unigine Heaven 4.0 to stress the GPU.

Specs:
  • Windows 10 Education, unactivated
  • EVGA 760 GPU - has a 6-pin power adapter connected to SATA cables + standard 8-pin PCIe connector.
  • Core i3-6100 @ 3.70GHz
  • 8GB DDR4-2400MHz RAM
  • 1TB HDD - good SMART status
  • 430W EVGA PSU

Last edited:
Does it fail after about an hour (pointing to GPU overheating problems) or exactly an hour (pointing to power-saving problems)?

I asked. Right now the power settings are 15 minutes to turn off the display and never put the PC to sleep (High Performance Power Plan).

Edit: "He said after about an hour ....but I know last time he tried to fire it up it would not turn on at all."

Does it fail after about an hour (pointing to GPU overheating problems) or exactly an hour (pointing to power-saving problems)?

Ran Unigen Heaven 4.0 for over 1 hour over DisplayPort and now trying it over HDMI.

Forgot to mention they have a 430W EVGA PSU. System worked fine in the past.

Guess the issue might have been that slight power misconnection or the GPU should be replaced. They will have to take it back on re-test it.

Guess the issue might have been that slight power misconnection or the GPU should be replaced.

You're probably right, but while you have the machine in your care you could also pop the graphics card out, clean its edge connector and socket, and then refit it firmly. It's possible that refitting the power connector moved the card enough to "fix" a dodgy connection between the card and the motherboard, and it never hurts to stack the deck in your favour.

Last edited:
Tried a different monitor - "Gaming PC" using an i3 :confused:
Why is the OS unactivated?
Why is the GFX card connected to SATA cables for - it should be straight from the PSU. Maybe that is the issue, another PSU with PCI cables on it.

Back