Forgot to change company name, OneDrive still displays old company.

thecomputerguy

Reaction score
Got a client replacing their systems.

Awhile back they renamed their company so I did the usual add the domain, create alias's with the new domain, then swapped the aliases as the primary email, so that I wouldn't have to do a migration to a new mailbox.

Everything went perfect.

Now we are setting up the new systems to backup to OneDrive because we will be decommissioning and removing their old server which had folder redirection on it.

When I login to the OneDrive accounts they are still showing in the folder navigation pane:

OneDrive - Old Company Name

Instead of

OneDrive - New Company Name

I logged into the Admin center and realized that I hadn't changed the Organization profile settings to the new Company name (I'm not even sure if this is the setting that controls how OneDrive displays the company name.

First of all ... is this the setting I should be changing so that OneDrive will reflect as OneDrive - New Company Name?

If I change it now, will it eventually auto update on it's own, or will I need to sign out and sign back in on the stations that I have pre-configured?

I've already signed out and back in on one station after making the change in Org settings and there was no change, maybe it takes time to propagate?

@YeOldeStonecat

So that's the correct location....but it will not "shift on the fly" yet with OneDrive. You have to UNlink One drive, kill the folders, and then link OneDrive again. I suppose it would work leaving the folders, as the "new name" will have a different path under %USERNAME%. but it'll obviously double hard drive space usage. Use your own call there, maybe leave 'em and then a week or two later delete the old folders once you know everything went over fine.

On a percentage of rigs you may find some stubborn ones that just won't shift gears. Fire up regedit and kill the key with the value of the old company name, and then re-link OneDrive.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

1670290116708.png

So that's the correct location....but it will not "shift on the fly" yet with OneDrive. You have to UNlink One drive, kill the folders, and then link OneDrive again. I suppose it would work leaving the folders, as the "new name" will have a different path under %USERNAME%. but it'll obviously double hard drive space usage. Use your own call there, maybe leave 'em and then a week or two later delete the old folders once you know everything went over fine.

On a percentage of rigs you may find some stubborn ones that just won't shift gears. Fire up regedit and kill the key with the value of the old company name, and then re-link OneDrive.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

View attachment 14076
I just did this and as a safe measure I deleted the registry key anyways and it's still showing the old company name. Maybe it just takes awhile ... I'll try it again tomorrow.

Thankfully they don't use OneDrive for anything right now so it shouldn't effect existing users.

BINGO!!!!!

I found the fix will quote it below for future peeps!!!

First unlink/log out and close OneDrive
Delete old OneDrive folder (careful)
Reboot
  1. Open regedit
  2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\office\16.0\Common\ServicesManagerCache\Identities
  3. Click on identity subfolder (example: 118a1502-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx_ADAL)
  4. Change ForceCacheRefresh value to 1
  5. Change NextUpdate value date to current date and time to 01:xx:xx (example 2022-12-06T11:09:00Z)
  6. Close Outlook/OneDrive
  7. Re-open Outlook first, then open OneDrive, try adding account

Back