Event ID 7 When Charging an IPad on a Windows 10 PC

allanc

Reaction score
A client's System Event Log is flooded with hundreds of Event ID 7 when they connect their IPad to charge on their Windows 10 PC.
I am not very familiar with how PCs and 'I' devices communicate.
I want to make sure that I should be advising my client to seek assistance from a IPad tech and that these events are being interpreted correctly by Windows
Here is a sample:

Log: System
Type: Error
Event: 7
Alert Time: 2019-08-21 12:51:23Z
Event Time: 04:50:00 PM 21-Aug-2019 UTC
Source: Disk
Category: None
Username: N/A
Description: The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR14, has a bad block.

Sounds to me like the storage medium on the iPad has an issue. Could be a simple filesystem problem, or it could be corrupted storage before a cascade failure. But yeah, you need to confirm that it is drive 14 before you blame the pad.

If the drive 14 is USB-powered external drive, may be some power issues on USB bus, that is, charging iPad causes some kind of bus-wide transient in USB.

You need to see what "drive" this really is.
Agreed.
I can determine the 'Harddisk1' from the 'deviceid' in the following:
Code:
wmic diskdrive get caption,description,deviceid,drivetype,providername,volumename
Any suggestions on how to determine the 'DR14' from CMD or PowerShell?

Why not just open up disk management and look at the list? If the device is connected, you'll see disk 14.

Why not just open up disk management and look at the list? If the device is connected, you'll see disk 14.
This is a MSP client.
I am slowly trying to build up my knowledge of CMD, PowerShell and Kaseya Procedures that I can run totally in the background.
I made a judgement error and believed the client when they told me that they did not have any USB storage devices attached other than an IPad.:(
When I ran the WMIC command above using a Kaseya Procedure, I determined that HardDisk1 was actually a USB device (WD My Passport).
The client has since removed the device and all is well.
Thanks to all.

Back