Display brightness slider?

Diggs

Reaction score
Really Microsoft? Brightness slider is no longer under Display Settings? It's been moved to the Action Center (is that what they call that box?) but is greyed out on every laptop I've checked so far (only 3 laptops). Brightness has been removed from desktops. I felt kind of stupid in front of a customer the other day when I went searching for it......

Really Microsoft? Brightness slider is no longer under Display Settings? It's been moved to the Action Center (is that what they call that box?) but is greyed out on every laptop I've checked so far (only 3 laptops). Brightness has been removed from desktops. I felt kind of stupid in front of a customer the other day when I went searching for it......

I can say it's been a part of the Action Center, at least on laptops, for a long time now. Though if I'm on a laptop I most often look to see if there are the standard two function keys for increasing/decreasing screen brightness.

It used to be on the taskbar under energy settings, I like that for laptops whose brightness keys didn't work or desktop.

Oh well. Things change.

It's been moved to the Action Center
Sure. Makes perfect sense. Next will be the remaining display settings, followed by the volume control and all the audio and media controls, all the network controls, the power and sleep settings, battery, storage, projector, and the whole frigging control panel. Why stop with the brightness control which surely is the single most used setting in the whole of Windows?

Am I the only one who just leaves my brightness on 100% all the time?

I dont think I've ever used it even to test it so you're not alone.
I've made client laptops brighter using the keyboard when they accidentally pressed the wrong thing.
Other than that its pretty useless imho.

Also what is that "Night light" setting that gives that awful sepia cast to everything?
Does anyone use that?

Also what is that "Night light" setting that gives that awful sepia cast to everything?
Does anyone use that?

Yes. And I love it. You don't notice the change in tint when it slowly sneaks in over hours as darkness falls and it makes using the machine after dark much easier on my eyes.

Reactions: GTP
Why stop with the brightness control which surely is the single most used setting in the whole of Windows?

A) It's been in the Action Center a for quite a while now. I can't recall exactly when it arrived there, but it's been there.

B) You've answered your own question in your question. I love having the "most frequently tweaked" settings at my fingertips in the Action Center. It's not like they're not available elsewhere if that's your preference. And brightness is definitely still in the Display settings as well.

Back