directing email to MS exchange account

pcpete

Reaction score
Trying to think through the following process I am having a bit of trouble breaking it into pieces. I have a client who has their own domain for the two business emails tied to it, one his and one his wife's. It is currently being managed by spectrum business with GoDaddy handling the domain. For this post I am leaving out any thoughts of importing old account, just focusing on getting the emails directed to the new exchange boxes.

So far this is what I have done. I have created an admin account jon@jondoe.onmicrosoft.com. This seems to have created the first of the two exchange boxes I need

here are the things I think I need to do
  1. create a second mailbox for his wife
  2. make aliases for each exchange account to match the email address they are currently using
  3. mark one of the two emails as a catch all email incase someone misspells a name they will still get the email
  4. add the txt value to show ownership of domain (this will not cause an upset with their current mail, right?)
  5. change the mx records to direct email to MS instead of charter
Do these steps seem about right?

If I create aliases that match their email header, will they automatically get sent to the right mailbox after changing the mx records?

You’re making it harder than it needs to be.
First create a global admin account that is unlicensed. Don’t have one of the users as a global admin.
Then add their domain and verify it, I usually do the TXT record and once that’s done then add the two business email accounts and assign the licenses.
Enable MFA!
At this stage emails will still be going to their current hosting until you change the MX records.
Why have a catch all setting? They’ll end up getting a lot of spam.
When they’re ready to switch then change the MX record abs other DNS records as required.

He'll never see that guide... M365 is fully automated with Godaddy, it'll know it's a Godaddy domain, and simply ask for the credentials before configuring DNS and everything else for him.

Though it will show what it's doing... so the guide is there... it's just a very automated process now.

Back