Dell gx260 system battery problems

loaner

Reaction score
Picked up Dell gx260...customer said "doesn't do anything".

hooked up and booted up...got the "system battery voltage low" message. F1to continue or F2 to enter setup. hit F1 and computer booted fine. i was able to do anything and go anywhere until the battery hit bottom and system froze. shut system down...waited a few minutes and booted again the same way.

picked up a couple of new batteries from walmart, replaced and i get nothing. fans will not work, nothing works. the original battery is panasonic cr2032 3v.

pulled batteries from my gaming rig(which is the exact same) and another computer i had lying around and same thing with those batteries, NOTHING.

I replace the original battery and it will boot right up with the "system battery low" error. hit f1 and boots right up... :confused:

power supply, ram, ect all tested working fine. my only other suggestion is replacing the motherboard, but i'm not completely sure about that. the internet is lousy with dell motherboard problems and suggestions for solving this problem...

I've cleared bios error log, plugged computer straight into mains instead of surge protector.

also tried resetting computer three times to allow it to recognize the new battery,,, blah blah....

nothing seams to work on this thing except the original battery.

i'm at my wits end on this thing and any help would be appreciated.

by the way...the original battery tests at only .77 volts...all the other batteries test well over from 2.6v thru 2.97v.

...goss

Last edited:
Picked up Dell gx260...customer said "doesn't do anything".

hooked up and booted up...got the "system battery voltage low" message. F1to continue or F2 to enter setup. hit F1 and computer booted fine. i was able to do anything and go anywhere until the battery hit bottom and system froze. shut system down...waited a few minutes and booted again the same way.

picked up a couple of new batteries from walmart, replaced and i get nothing. fans will not work, nothing works. the original battery is panasonic cr2032 3v.

pulled batteries from my gaming rig(which is the exact same) and another computer i had lying around and same thing with those batteries, NOTHING.

I replace the original battery and it will boot right up with the "system battery low" error. hit f1 and boots right up... :confused:

power supply, ram, ect all tested working fine. my only other suggestion is replacing the motherboard, but i'm not completely sure about that. the internet is lousy with dell motherboard problems and suggestions for solving this problem...

I've cleared bios error log, plugged computer straight into mains instead of surge protector.

also tried resetting computer three times to allow it to recognize the new battery,,, blah blah....

nothing seams to work on this thing except the original battery.

i'm at my wits end on this thing and any help would be appreciated.

by the way...the original battery tests at only .77 volts...all the other batteries test well over from 2.6v thru 2.97v.

...goss
Did you try resetting the CMOS?

i'm guessing your talking about jumpers.

there isn't a jumper to reset cmos if that's what you're asking. the bios is reset as soon as the battery is removed and the only resetting is date and time. everything else is already at default.

i've tried everything. i even took the working battery and hooked another battery to it in parallel. all that happened was the second battery charged up the original battery. the original battery wouldn't work until it lost it's charge some. after it lost its charge, it would boot right up.

the ONLY thing i haven't tried is a bios flash. i didn't want to do that because i'm not sure the battery would last all the way through it.

i figured for 40 bucks, just replacing the motherboard would be fine, but with all the "system battery" problems with these things, i didn't want to take a chance on getting another motherboard with the same problem.

I appreciate the response, and did i answer your question about the cmos? any other suggetions? the caps look fine so i don't think it's a problem there. and i get the same problem with "everything" hooked up or if it's nothing but motherboard and powersupply.

...goss

Last edited:
Back