[REQUEST] Curious ASUS EeePC screen issue

Beret Gascon

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just had an ASUS EeePC Seashell in the shop with a screen that showed all signs of an inverter board having fried - there was a ghost of an image when switched on and it worked fine on an external vga display.

This is the model: https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/screen-part-number/HSD100IFW1-A04/

So I ordered a new screen, it arrived, I fitted it and all was well. The customer turned up, I switched on the netbook, it started up Windows 7 Starter and he was a happy bunny and he paid the bill.

The next day he rings me. As soon as he got home, he tells me, he fired up the netbook to show it to his wife and, same thing, screen is black, ghost of an image when switched on and works fine on an external vga display. So I tell him to bring it in and everything he tells me is exact. I told him I'd look into this and see what I could do He's not jumping up and down about me selling him dodgy second-hand parts or anything - he saw it working in the shop and he saw the parts invoice. No, this is about me wanting to know what is going on.

What could possibly fry an inverter board not once but twice? Could it be something to do with a faulty electrical system at home? He told me before he switched on the netbook he plugged in the charger. When I had it in the shop I didn't use his charger, I used mine which output 19.4v. I tested his and it output 18.6v. I can't see that as being the problem but I'm no expert in electrical circuits.

Anybody seen anything like this before? It could, of course, be something simple and I can't see the wood for the trees.

Thanks for the reply Harold,

1. Yes I did remove the battery (standard procedure)
2. The replacement screen worked just fine all the time I had the netbook in the workshop plus when I showed it to the customer

Any other thoughts?

LCD Video cable is my bet.

Well done that man! You win this week's prize of That Smug Smile When You Got It Right!

The video cable behind the screen had slipped marginally out of its socket. When I pressed it back in, paying a lot more attention than I did the first time, I saw that almost immediately the flat connector moved back out almost imperceptibly. I pushed it back in, and this time put some Duck tape over it to keep it firmly in place. I plugged in the charging cable, booted up and...

IMG_20181019_180130_.jpg

Many thanks to all who contributed. Many hands and all that :)

Postscript: before I put the screen bezel back on I decided to see if the original screen had in fact been OK. But it wasn't, it really was U/S. What are the chances of two screens displaying exactly the same problem being caused by two different issues?
Oh well, you're never too old to learn.
Have a good weekend all!

tdif-thank-dog-its-friday.png

and this time put some Duck tape over it to keep it firmly in place
I would suggest that you use a good quality "clear shipping" tape instead. Duct / Duck Tape can be a bit bulky and fro what I remember about it, it can conduct electricity causing shorts.

Yep you always should tape down those connections - just like they were when you took them / it apart.

But good learning experience for you on this one.

I would suggest that you use a good quality "clear shipping" tape instead. Duct / Duck Tape can be a bit bulky and fro what I remember about it, it can conduct electricity causing shorts.
Adhesive migration and ageing is the biggest problem with tape that isn't intended for this kind of duty. A decent Kapton tape, which will have a wide thermal range for the tape and the adhesive, is a better fit.

Back