Compatibility of 32 Bit programs on 64Bit Vista? +Ethics

Felix

Reaction score
I'm going to be honest and tell the whole story here.
This is one of the first places I've ever noticed that other techs can tell whole storys and get actual advice and not called names or flamed.

Ok here goes.....

In addition to my other job in I.T. I also work as an in store tech at an
electronics store. I answered the phone and spoke with a REALLY angry client. She was complaining about how she bought an HP Laptop and was unhappy with it, she said that it had 64 Bit windows on it and after she bought it she found out that the company she works for (shes a Realtor, still making good money:eek:) only supports 32 Bit Vista, and they'll be moving to Windows 7 as soon as it comes out.

So prior to calling me she had spoke to my supervisor and he got her to buy a 32 Bit copy of Vista and she had him install it for her $$. But she was still having issues, apparently her disc drive wasn't being seen in Windows, so she brought it in again and another tech had fixed it but now she was calling me upset that Itunes kept giving her an error about the disc drive.

The first thing I wondered was why didnt she exchange the computer for one that had 32 BIt Vista on it to begin with?

I told her to bring it in and I would gladly help her out. She came in, angry of course. And I had a look and one of my co-workers helped me out. He told me that 32 Bit programs will all run fine on 64 Bit because of some compatibility layer. She was still complaining about how she has a Mac desktop and the only reason she uses a PC is because her company makes her. She was ranting about just giving up on PC's and getting a Macbook and just having Windows installed on that. I told her I understand but that would cost her even more money though.

Is it true that all 32 Bit programs will run fine in 64 Bit Vista?

Does it seem unethical to any of you that my supervisor had her
buy a copy of 32 Bit Vista rather than having her exchange the laptop for one with it on already?

This customer bought a laptop for corporate use without first conferring with her IT dept. Why shoud your supervisor or your employer pay for her cock-up? That being said, perhaps getting her to buy 32 bit Windows was overkill. I'd have taken the laptop back but charged a re-stocking fee - after all, it is now used and would have to be re-sold at a discount. If you think that's unethical then you'd better not ever think about self-employment.

not all 32 bit apps work fine in 64 bit. I have learned this first hand lately. I will say most apps do work fine. I run into trouble with advanced software that integrates deeply, like anti-virus and a few other items. And of course drivers are picky.

This customer bought a laptop for corporate use without first conferring with her IT dept. Why shoud your supervisor or your employer pay for her cock-up? That being said, perhaps getting her to buy 32 bit Windows was overkill. I'd have taken the laptop back but charged a re-stocking fee - after all, it is now used and would have to be re-sold at a discount. If you think that's unethical then you'd better not ever think about self-employment.

That's why I'm here :eek:
I didn't think about it from that perspective, but now that I do I agree.

@kc0eks

That's what I thought, and that's why I'm here to double check.
I don't know what software she used exactly but still.

Thanks

I don't totally buy that women's story, Her company only supports 32Bit Vista and will be switching to Windows 7 as soon as it comes out. Sure whatever. Your boss is a salesman and it's his job to sell things to customers. He's doing his job. Most 32Bit programs work just fine in 64Bit expect drivers and security software. It's likely she would have a corporate VPN and the like so she should get 32Bit Vista. As a previous responder said what the hell is she doing going otu and buying a work laptop without consulting IT in the first place. Sounds to me like a pretty typical story about an uneducated customer that doesn't seek help before they buy something.

My company has a major app that is not compatible with x64 now there is an updated version which should be but we have had issues updating the server side where it gets downloaded and installed from by the users. I would say about 80-90% of 32 bit apps will work in Vista 64 bit. We have on app another major app that works in Vista 32 or 64 but will not install on either. I agree she should consult her IT department first to be sure she gets something that works. The common practice by major chains I have seen has been no extra charges if they swap for something of about the same value or greater.

lawson_jl the app that is not 64 bit compatible is the VPN client

Last edited:
although vista x64 does have the ability to install and run most x86 based software vista x64 dropped compatibility with 16 bit software and many programs still use 16 bit installers so those will not run, although what your superviser did may have seemed unethical from your point of view, is it possible that he dosnt know much about either operating systems either and thus was unable to make an informed desision?

I have an HP laptop with 64bit Vista and the biggest issue I had with apps was my need to use a Cisco VPN client for connectivity to a corporate network. Cisco does not make, nor will it, a 64bit version of its VPN client.

Now in saying that I understand that the Cisco VPN Anywhere client can work, but it needs additional infrastructure and a firewall that supports it as it uses certificates and such.

Other than that issue all other 32bit apps have been fine for me up to this point.

Back