Clone HDD's failing often

Another laptop, same thing, disabled VMD in bios, was able to see the drive, still wouldn't boot from it but was able to see it and reinstall windows. This makes me think my clones may not have actually failed, specifically with M.2 drives on Acer laptops.

Last edited:
But they come with so many nice little tools..
I had a customer who would try all the shareware utilities he could come across.
He'd called me in every 3 or 4 months as he computer had stuffed up again.
Sure enough he tried some weird utility again.
Made a lot of money from him despite all my warnings trying to dissuade him from the practice.
Until he started listening to me and started having a more stable computer.
Nice guy who always accepted and admitted he was the source of his problems 😏

Ok, so today I got two laptops, one old, one brand new. The old has a regular 2.5" SSD and the new has an M.2. My previous attempts to clone to an M.2 without taking it out of the machine and plugging it into my tech bench PC have resulted in serious side effects (no bootable device etc..) making me hesitant to do it again but I tried Fabs today and got nowhere (only copied a few MB) so I am taking out the new drive, plugging it into my tech bench PC via M.2 to USB adapter, plugging in the old drive and going to use Aomei backupper within windows, NOT WinPE boot disk. Aomei Backupper is the only cloning program I have right now that is not on a boot disk.

If you are running or working in a repair business, you need to have business-licensed tools and know how to use them. Is Fabs AutoBackup the Pro version and licensed? If not, stop using it in the business if you want to be ethical and continue getting help on here. Same for cloning software, get a version licensed for use on clients' computers. There have been many suggested.

I also question whether you should be working on customer computers without supervision/tutoring of a senior tech. So far, your operating procedures are a slow motion train wreck! I appreciate that you are just starting out and we all started out without experience at some point, but I don't think you are being fair to your customers or the business you work for if you don't have someone more experienced to guide you for a while.

If you are running or working in a repair business, you need to have business-licensed tools and know how to use them. Is Fabs AutoBackup the Pro version and licensed? If not, stop using it in the business if you want to be ethical and continue getting help on here. Same for cloning software, get a version licensed for use on clients' computers. There have been many suggested.

I also question whether you should be working on customer computers without supervision/tutoring of a senior tech. So far, your operating procedures are a slow motion train wreck! I appreciate that you are just starting out and we all started out without experience at some point, but I don't think you are being fair to your customers or the business you work for if you don't have someone more experienced to guide you for a while.
Yes, our fabs is licensed. We have the receipt for it. Yes, I am a little green, and I do have other techs to bounce ideas off but they are not always available. Thank you for your comment. Points well taken.

Back