Clone HDD's failing often

I've decided to halt cloning for now tilI figure this out. I decided to use Fabs Backup and now I'm having trouble with that too. Fabs is only copying a few hundred megabytes worth of data when there are many GB's. Anyone else run into this?
Fabs is NOT a full image backup program. It’s only backups data files and some settings. Useful if a client buys a new PC with Windows already installed.

I spoke with a tech who works where we buy our computers from. He said it's an acer bios issue. It was difficult to understand him with the accent. He said to go into bios and disable VMD controller. Tried that and still no good but I think he was onto something.

I don't know how but after restarting 3 times it booted into windows. I wish I knew why. However, the touchpad is not working. This is a brand new laptop. Last one that had this no bootable device issue also the touchpad was not working. I'm going to try to get drivers for it.

So finally the clients new laptop is done and ready. So I put the cloned drive back into the original laptop and I get BSOD. I want to fresh install windows on it and put it back on the shelf but when I go to boot from my Win10 USB I get a BSOD "kmode exception not handled". Googling it hasn't helped much.

Got the touchpad working. Everything's fine. I just wish I knew why.
No drive detected. This is really weird and is EXACTLY what happened to a couple weeks ago.
when I go to boot from my Win10 USB I get a BSOD "kmode exception not handled". Googling it hasn't helped much.
don't know how but after restarting 3 times it booted into windows. I wish I knew why.
(And many, many more from multiple threads.)

It's starting to sound as if computers hate you. It doesn't make you a bad person - they don't much like Mrs Computer Bloke either.

Have you ever considered becoming a lumberjack? It's a well-paid, healthy, outdoors life, and trees work pretty much the same way every time. You can trust a tree.

Last edited:
I would not wish an Acer on anyone.

They actually made some decent business grade desktops back in the day, and still make some good lower cost business grade laptops, their TravelMate series.

Acer was born from MultiTech...who was VERY well known for their modems back in the day of dial up. MultiTech "Zoom" modems were very popular, and good.

Way back then, shortly after MultiTech bred the Acer brand for computers....they bought up Texas Instruments laptop division, and started making quite a few good laptops.

A bit over 10 years ago I had to get XX amount of laptops for XX,XXX dollars, ended up getting some TravelMates for the client, they held up very well ...heavily used 24xy on med carts in a nursing home.

Also made good monitors.
But yeah, their cheaper residential models got most of the "bad" press and "bad" attention, the cheap ones sold in walmart, etc. Junk.

Back to original topic, IMO...the OP should try some of the cloning tools we've been recommending. I seem to see he's sticking to the same technique...that is often failing. We've belted out quite a few clones since this thread started...and they've worked.

(And many, many more.)

It's starting to sound as if computers hate you. It doesn't make you a bad person - they don't much like Mrs Computer Bloke either.

Have you ever considered becoming a lumberjack? It's a well-paid, healthy, outdoors life, and trees work pretty much the same way every time. You can trust a tree.
Hehe. Funny you mention it I used to cut wood for a living. It's straight forward and you can see your progress. I like being a technician, I just have a lot to learn. It never ends. Giving up now would be foolish. Regarding computers hating me, yea, if you look at most of my posts, I'm getting very werid problems that don't seem to have a simple fix. But that's why I'm on this forum. I appreciate everyone's advice.

I've been cloning for years using Hirens and Aomei Backupper and only recently started having all these failures. I realize I should probably try other software and not use hirens as suggested. I tried acronis true image and that worked 3 out of 4 times.

Is this another XX in 1 boot disc or just Macrium? Because XX in 1 discs will cause issues. Plus, if it's not a version for bench techs (ie free) just be aware it's only licensed for non commercial use. Good apps need support so they don't die.
If you mean is it on a bootable USB like hirens, then yes.

That's won't do.

These multi utility boot discs are, plainly speaking crap. Stop using them if you can. Your sanity will thank you.

Reactions: GTP
But they come with so many nice little tools.... :'(

Most of which are "dead weight" and many of which are horrendously out of date. Let's not get into how easy it is to find the exact purpose-dedicated tool you need for task X these days, and that when you do it's often open source and you know you're downloading the latest and greatest when you fetch it.

The same reason I tell people never to use the driver disks (when those used to exist) that shipped with things like printers and multi-functions is the reason I avoid "everything but the kitchen sink" utility disks that are static. By the time you have them in your hands you can be sure that at least some, if not most, of what's on 'em is outdated. Download the latest, on demand, when you need it, every time you need it, unless you just got it for some other job just yesterday.

Back