Restarting and shutting down process taking forever(5-10 minutes) after cloning an M.2 OS drive.

JohnDoe1980

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a Dell Latitude 3590 laptop that needed a drive upgrade from 128GB to 512GB. I used Aomei Backupper to clone the source drive to the new one, aligned for SSD and did sector by sector. Clone completed quickly, then I used Aomei Partition Assistant to merge the new unallocated space with the OS partition. That worked fine. I shut it down and powered it back on and it started to load, then shut down. Powered it on again and I got a message saying firmware update, BIOS update with BIOS guard. Then it booted into windows. Everything seemed fine.

I wanted to check just to see everything is working as it should be so I restarted. The restart process with the spinning wheel seemed to take forever. It finally restarted after 6 or so minutes. Same thing with shutting down. If I manually shut down using the power button it powers off, and from power on to windows logon screen is 18 seconds. I'm at a loss for this. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Dirty bit tripped on the drive and it's scanning without resetting it? (Just a thought....)
(@add - Meaning run chkdsk /f from the command line and see if it helps. Be sure you still have the old drive in working order for a backup.)

...and to clarify the power button. Any press of the power button less than 5 seconds asks Windows to shut down (or sleep) gracefully. Holding the power button longer than 5 seconds asks the hardware to take over and forcefully shut down Windows whether it wants to or not. Bad things can happen over 5 seconds.

Last edited:
Back