chkdsk keeps running at startup windows7

spacecadetuk

Reaction score
I've got a clean install of windows 7 but it keeps running chkdsk at startup but finds no problems.I have tried to alter the registry with this command

autocheck autochk /k:C *

but it still keeps running at startup and if i try to stop it this way
From your Windows desktop, click on "Start" and select "Run". Bring up the computer's command prompt by typing "CMD" into the address bar.

Step 2
Type "fsutil dirty query d:" into the command prompt. This checks the computer's drive; most likely, it will encounter errors.

Step 3
Type in "CHKNTFS /X D:" in the command prompt. The "X" is the command that tells your computer not to check that drive the next time the PC reboots.

Step 4
Manually reboot the computer; chkdsk should not run, and you should be brought to your normal Windows desktop.

Step 5
Bring up another command prompt and type "Chkdsk /f /r d:" in order to run chkdsk on the offending, damaged drive. This will run the scan and uncover the contaminated files.

Step 6
Type "fsutil dirty query d:" into the command prompt; this will confirm that the damaged files have been repaired and that the drive no longer contains any errors.

it says its dirty but when i try step 5 it says
C:\Windows\system32>Chkdsk /f /r c:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by ano
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to b
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

if i just run chkdsk (without the /f/r) it finds no errors but then when i do the fsutil dirty query it still says it's dirty

any help/ideas would be appreciated

So have you actually let chkdsk /r run?

BTW there is no point in chkdsk /f /r since /r implies /f anyway.

thanks for the reply MobileTechie yes i've let check disk run a couple of times and it finds no errors

Yeah i know but specifically /r?

I've had this before and it was a bad disk. So I'd check the drive out. There are ways to stop the chkdsk running by altering a reg key but this won't change the fact that the disk is flagged dirty which might restrict some disk functions, like defragmentation for example.

You might be looking at a reinstall eventually.

I've yet to see the OP mention anything about checking the Event Viewer for a clean shutdown. If Windows doesn't shut down properly, the drive is usually considered dirty.

it's a clean install, nothing else running apart from windows 7, and it happens after a clean shutdown.
I've now got it so when i do the dirty query it comes back as not dirty but it has still ran chkdsk on the odd reboot, not everytime though

ran diagnostics on hard drive, no problems found and the dirty query is replying that it's clean and its booted up ok the last half a dozen times, i told the client it should be ok but recommended a new hard drive (they are quite cheap) to be sure, but they said no it'll be fine, so i just suggested to keep up to date backups just in case and sent them on their way.
Thanks for the suggestions

Back