Something happened and your PIN isn't available. Click to set up your PIN again

I just returned from downstairs and playing with the machine.

@nlinecomputers: My guess is that it would perhaps ask you to login with a password, but see below.

@timeshifter: MS has added yet another hoop, or at least I think they have, my memory is misty now about what I may, or may not, have turned off under Windows 10. But under Windows 10, if I go to Settings, Accounts, Sign-In Options, the toggle for Require Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft Accounts is OFF. I do not ever recall having tweaked this, but I very well could have, because I strongly favor using my password over a PIN.

Under Windows 11, if I go to the same location in settings, the toggle for For improved security, allow only Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft Accounts on this machine is ON by default. Throughout the following I was offline - no internet connection. In this state, if I clicked "Forgot Password" the standard Microsoft Account login dialog appears, which requires you to be online for it to work, and you get the warning that you can't use it without an internet connection. So, in that circumstance, you are absolutely stuck with the PIN.

I immediately went into settings and threw the above noted toggle to OFF, then logged out. After that, although PIN was still presented as the default login method, there was a link beneath for other login methods, and if you activated that you saw the usual PIN and Password icons that allow you to switch between the two. I hit the Password icon and was able to log in with my Microsoft Account password. This also proves that a local encrypted copy is kept for Windows 11 just as it is for Windows 10 so that internet access is not needed to use the password, but you have to have turned off that pernicious allow only Windows Hello sign-in crap at the outset for the option to appear.

If someone happens to have a fresh Windows 10 instance, please check to see if the Require Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft Accounts toggle defaults to OFF, if you would. I have no convenient way to determine if I might have changed this way back when or if it does default to OFF under Windows 10 while it's analogous setting defaults to ON under Windows 11. I know I had never touched this under Windows 11 after clean installing it, so what I found has to be the default state, at least for Windows 11 Home.

I had this exact PIN problem before on a Windows 10 machine I use daily.
It is a custom built.

I tried everything I could think of, from booting in recovery mode, to creating local accounts, including changing passwords, and it would not accept a PIN log in. Was able to get it to ask for password eventually by getting to a "password reset" menu instead of a PIN (forgot how), but that did not work either.

Went with a N&P to get back to normal.

Windows login issues are becoming really annoying, when there is no logic to the problem.

I had this exact PIN problem before on a Windows 10 machine I use daily.

The question becomes was the setting I referenced earlier ON or OFF.

I'm not doubting your report, but the state of that setting may prove to be key to a way out of most, if not all of this. I have not ever "been stuck" such that a nuke and pave was necessary so long as I had things configured so that I could use any of the available login methods I'd previously set up locally, without the need for an internet connection.

I've already added a step to my "standard setup procedure" to double check that this setting is OFF. I don't ever want to be caught out in the way that triggered this topic.

Under Windows 11, if I go to the same location in settings, the toggle for For improved security, allow only Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft Accounts on this machine is ON by default.
I switched this OFF and now can choose to put in a password or a PIN. Thanks!

I ran all the updates on the machine and it seemed to hold up, so I'm putting this one in the books.

The question becomes was the setting I referenced earlier ON or OFF.
I don't remember, as it was a while ago. I looked at the settings now, still Windows 10 and don't see an ON/OFF settings under Settings/Accounts/Sign-in options.
Don't get any of these issues with local account login!
Of course, right. Common knowledge. But it also very annoying for Microsoft to drive the end user crazy with requests to use a Microsoft account.

Back