BSOD Caused By iUSB3Hub.sys

TechGuy737

Reaction score
Really scratching my head on this problem. Hoping someone has insight.
Thank you in advance to anyone for your help and time with this issue.

Problem: BSOD dump files point to iUSB3Hub.sys as the breaking point after enabling BIOS option: External USB ports.

Steps taken after this problem:
  • Downloaded Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver
- Source: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...el-7-Series-C216-Chipset-Family?product=65855
- Cannot install latest driver it says is incompatible with the processor!! I don't get it.
  • Renamed iusb3hub.sys to OLD (Didn't reinstall a better one)
  • Pasted an older version of the file into the System32/Driver folder
- At this point everything worked but then Windows detected the unknown device and as soon as it started to update the driver on the spot it caused the same BSOD.

System Specifications:
Dell Vostro 3460
Windows 7 Professional 64bit
Intel Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz (Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9)
2 USB 2.0 ports
2 USB 3.0 ports

Note:
- Legacy Booting is activated.
- DisplayLink is used as a main hub.
- DisplayLink gives a compatibility warning after reaching the desktop regarding the USB driver.

Steps taken before this problem: (Other problems from a Windows Update that had to be resolved)
- Used Windows 7 Installation Disc in Repair Mode
- Used NirSoft EasyRE Disc in Repair Mode

I reckon the problem is with the hub rather than Windows/USB.
Have you updated the drivers/software for the DisplayLink?
I'd remove everything and reinstall it using the latest drivers/software.

I reckon the problem is with the hub rather than Windows/USB.
Have you updated the drivers/software for the DisplayLink?
I'd remove everything and reinstall it using the latest drivers/software.
I downloaded the latest driver from DisplayLink and installed without problems.
DisplayLink appears to rely on Intel's USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver. (iusb3hub.sys)

Install failure occurs when installing Intel's download. It says it is incompatible with the processor. This makes no sense as the processor should match their requirements.

System Specifications:
Dell Vostro 3460

Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver contains support for the following Intel® chipsets and Intel® processors:
· Intel® 7 Series Chipsets/Intel® C216 Chipsets
· 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family
· 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i3 Processor
· 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i5 Processor
· 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processor
· 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Extreme Processor

In a situation like this I would just throw in another drive (most likely my SSD with Win 10 on it) and see what happens. If you can install the drivers, the ports work, and no BSOD then it's a software issue. If it still BSOD then it's hardware.

I had not thought to use a Linux distro because the BSOD only occurs when I change the single BIOS option to enabled. If the option is disabled then Windows doesn't have a problem but the USB ports are unavailable.

But that's kind of my point. You are adding or removing a piece of hardware via BIOS. So if it fails in Linux then you know it's a hardware issue. But I've also had machines which could not run any M$ OS but ran any *nix just fine. Personally, if linux works, I'd then just toss in a clean install on a different drive as @mikeroq said.

Really scratching my head on this problem. Hoping someone has insight.
Thank you in advance to anyone for your help and time with this issue.

Problem: BSOD dump files point to iUSB3Hub.sys as the breaking point after enabling BIOS option: External USB ports.

Steps taken after this problem:
  • Downloaded Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver
- Source: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...el-7-Series-C216-Chipset-Family?product=65855
- Cannot install latest driver it says is incompatible with the processor!! I don't get it.
  • Renamed iusb3hub.sys to OLD (Didn't reinstall a better one)
  • Pasted an older version of the file into the System32/Driver folder
- At this point everything worked but then Windows detected the unknown device and as soon as it started to update the driver on the spot it caused the same BSOD.

System Specifications:
Dell Vostro 3460
2 USB 2.0 ports
2 USB 3.0 ports

Note:
- Legacy Booting is activated.
- DisplayLink is used as a main hub.
- DisplayLink gives a compatibility warning after reaching the desktop regarding the USB driver.

Steps taken before this problem: (Other problems from a Windows Update that had to be resolved)
- Used Windows 7 Installation Disc in Repair Mode
- Used NirSoft EasyRE Disc in Repair Mode
Intel says "The driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer. We recommend you work with your computer manufacturer before installing our driver so you don’t lose features or customizations."

Try the Dell drivers, https://www.dell.com/support/home/au/en/audhs1/product-support/product/vostro-3460/drivers

Back