BSOD

effiecgu

Reaction score
Three Dell Pecision 3620 desktops, sold to different clients between late 2016 and early 2018.

All running windows 10 pro on similar hardware, except one usiing AMD fire pro and two using Nvidia Quadro

All of them receiving regular updates.

Within 8 days, all three suffered the same symptom: computer freezing, then displaying “Driver power state failure” BSOD and crashing, repeating over and over.

With the 1st, diagnostics showed no problems, nor did a complete format fix the problem. Dell took responsibility, sent a technician to replace both motherboard and graphics card, and its’ been working fine for over a week.

But now the exact same problem happened on the other two machines, and I’m puzzled.

The 2nd machine it happened on, we ran the diagnostics which showed the HD (SSD of course) was faulty. Since we didn’t want to wait, I took a brand new Kingston SSD, and installed it on the machine.

5 minutes after finishing the install, while it was downloading drivers and updates, it started with the exact same issues and BSODs.

After speaking with Dell, they suggested the iso file I downloaded from Microsoft may not have been fully suited for the machine, and that I should download the specific image file for my machine. I downloaded and installed as they said, but got the exact same result.

Suspecting it was downloading a faulty driver from Microsoft Update, I did another clean install, downloaded all the drivers on a separate machine, put them on a USB drive, and installed while the newly formatted machine was still disconnected from the internet. Guess what? Didn’t help!

I'd try a different power supply. Also roll back the drivers to an earlier version. Once it starts BSOD'ing does it stay that way or do the BSOD's come and go?

Had a similar issue today with a Dell the goddamn usb ports we're saying power surge on every goddamn port for no valid reason my usb volt tester (best purchase ever) didn't find anything ended up calling dell they said recent driver programming had issues to revert to the old ones. So I said to them let me get this straight spend 2k on a PC to get the news you screwed up and can't fix it even remotely? Lucky for me I'm used to show the recovery drive and rip a driver off the unit and then lock them but man .. everything theses days keeps going down hill..

Could 1903 and/or associated updates be the culprit...?

No, it's not a build issue.
2 machines had 1809, one had 1803.
after the crashes began, I reformatted with clean images of 1809 downloaded from MS.
When that didn't solve it, Dell asked me to download their image for the specific machine (which was 1809 equipped with their drivers), and also same issue.
Just to remind: the issue is that the install finishes correctly (with any image). after it gets some time connected to the internet, the issues start.

I just reformatted with Dell's image again, left the network unplugged. install completed.
Downloaded ALL drivers (&bios update) according to service tag on another computer, installed them manually, and left the computer to work for 4 hours. Nothing happened.
Went into windows settings, disabled updates for 1 week.
Plugged network cable in.
I noticed through Task Manager that windows components were downloading something, even though latest drivers from Dell were installed, and updates were turned off.
5 minutes after plugging in the network, it started crashing again with the same BSOD message.

Normal procedure is to roll back to 1803 or 1809.
How about pulling a "Microsoft" and clean install 1903.
Who knows, might just work.

Back