Brother ControlCenter 4 - Error When Scanning to Email

Vicenarian

Reaction score
Just a heads up, if you try to use the "Scan to Email" feature in the Brother ControlCenter 4 software, and get an error that says something like "no default E-mail application is registered on the computer (Error code CC4-121-xxxxxxxx), here's the solution (for Windows 7, anyway):

1) Go into the "Default Programs" control panel applet
2) Select "Set program access and computer defaults"
3) Select the downward pointing arrows to the right of the "Custom" radio button.
4) Under "Choose a default e-mail program", select the name of the email program you want. ("Use my current e-mail program" will probably be selected by default, but it won't work)
5) Voila!

It had me stumped for a while; under the regular Default Programs selection applet, I had the email program (WLM) set as the default for all extensions, but the Brother CC4 software wouldn't pick it up properly. But, after doing the above, it worked fine.

Several times, this post has been a day-maker for me. Once a client gets used to one-touch scan-to-email, anything else is a tough sell when that feature breaks.

Now on Windows 10 version 1709, Microsoft (in their great wisdom) seems to have made the "Set Program Access and Computer Defaults" window less discoverable. But it is still present, and still has the options for "Use my current e-mail program" or a specific one. And, even the latest update for Brother Control Center still needs it set to the specific one.

To get that window, use Winkey + R, computerdefaults.exe

Thanks for the update, I wasn't a Technibble member back when this was posted, so its good info to have.
I have a client that has this issue, now I also have a fix!

Back