Best Linux Distros for 2017?

I'm a fan of Bodhi linux. I've been using it on my laptop for years. Lightweight, looks good... and fast.
I used Bodhi for years on an Acer Netbook. Loved it. Netbook died and I never used Bodhi again :(
Maybe time to revisit?
Not sure if Jeff Hoogland is still involved with Bodhi?

Edit: Looks like Jeff Hoogland is still lead developer as of Jan 17

Been wanting to try Elementary OS also..because of the high quality visuals...
I think Elementary OS is pay only donationware now. I wouldn't mind trying it out except for the fact that it goes against the grain of "free and opensource."
I have no problem with giving them a "donation" but let me try the software first.
Works for everyone else.

I used Bodhi for years on an Acer Netbook. Loved it. Netbook died and I never used Bodhi again :(
Maybe time to revisit?

Yes, he even forked the Enlightenment desktop into a new DE called Moksha.

Reactions: GTP
Maybe time to revisit?

Correct. He took some time off after announcing a few years ago that he was leaving the Bodhi project. After some community members took up the mantle, he rejoined as the leader of the team (as opposed to mostly a one man show).

While I was waiting for a Win10 Pro USB to arrive, I did tinker with Mint 18.1 testing a personally owned Z270/7700K with but a mere spare, lowly 5400 RPM laptop drive stuck in a IcyDock removeable drive bay...

Although a very slow drive by the numbers, the system as a whole was remarkably snappy, quick to boot, quick to operate, and quick to shutdown, but, there was a strange sound bug, discovered coming out of sleep mode if/when using an HDMI monitor....

(Likewise, CentOS with a Cinnamom desktop gives a somewhat Mint-like appearance/user-experience, for those that like Redhat)

Each 'feels' faster than when using WIn10 on a laptop with an SSD...

Were it not a juvenile fascination with Battlefield 1 and a personal like/interest of WIndows antimalware tools, I could VERY easily be happy with just CentOS, Mint, Debian, or even Ubuntu after it's shortcuts are created, etc...

Last edited:
Raspbian:D I am a little biased at the moment, because I just picked up a Raspberry Pi 3. Such a cool little machine.

I do not have a ton of experience using Linux (hoping to change that with the Pi), but I would say my favorite flavors are Mint and Ubuntu.

Back