Best Linux Distros for 2017?

Diggs

Reaction score
Everyone has their (in this case informed) opinion-

https://linux.slashdot.org/story/17/01/07/0425230/linuxcom-announces-the-best-linux-distros-for-2017?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Slashdot/slashdotLinux+(Slashdot:+Linux)

..and if you read down in the comments-
In the beginning, God created Debian. And He saw that it was good. But even good can be improved upon, so God created a help mate for Debian and He named that creature Ubuntu. And Ubuntu was fertile and multiplied and brought forth upon the Earth every distribution that crawled upon the land and swam in the sea below and flew in the air above. And God saw that it was good. Because people like to have choices and Linux is for people... and not just for corporations.

The next comment being -
and then, in the era of Ian, ubuntu turned against The Lord and Mint was created. and there was much rejoicing (yay...)

..chuckles.....

Distrowatch shows the standard 1-2-3 listing of Mint, Debian, Ubuntu (respectively, in order of 'most downloaded') that seems almost standard the past two years or so, and, quite unlikely to change soon, IMO.....

A desktop OS is mostly a means to a end for me, my home computers run Ubuntu, OS X, and Windows and often their position in my house determines whether or not I'm using them rather than their OS. That being said, I use Ubuntu because I like the HUD and it is installed by default (I believe you can get it in Mint, but it's not there out of the box).

Distrowatch shows the standard 1-2-3 listing of Mint, Debian, Ubuntu (respectively, in order of 'most downloaded') that seems almost standard the past two years or so, and, quite unlikely to change soon, IMO.....

Hmmm.... Ubuntu used to be second to Mint for a long time. Now it's third? Shuttleworth just doesn't understand that the Unity desktop was/is a huge mistake.

Absolutely agree. The move to Unity was what killed my desire to use Ubuntu and pushed me towards alternatives. I have found that I rather like using MATE.

I noticed that Ubuntu is now 4th on Distrowatch.com.
I thought I would have another look at Ubuntu. Set it up in VM and played with Unity for about 30 seconds. Deleted the VM and moved on!
Unity still sucks, but then Gnome 3.x is awful too!
Personally, for me, I like LXDE

Always hated Unity. Hated it also when they made it their default desktop. So, I switched to Mint. Never looked back. :)

I do use Ubuntu server though. I just finished the main install on my old AMD 6 core box to replace my older router/fileserver/webserver-test-box.

Went very smooth. What I like about Server is that you can configure it as a bootable raid from the install. Nice.

Unity is just down right stupid for a desktop IMHO. Its pretty useless and kills productivity. But, Thats my opinion.

coffee

I just hope they still put in HUD.

I almost exclusively use Ubuntu for servers, I like the idea of being able to get full enterprise support without having to switch OS.

I just hope they still put in HUD.

I almost exclusively use Ubuntu for servers, I like the idea of being able to get full enterprise support without having to switch OS.

I was kinda caught up between Ubuntu and centOS. I have done both but finally decided Ubuntu because of the larger support and less fiddling around with stuff. Both are very good but I think centOS is more nutsNbolts kinda stuff.

Always hated Unity. Hated it also when they made it their default desktop. So, I switched to Mint. Never looked back. :)

Never been a fan of Unity myself either. Ubuntu Mate looks nice though. I've installed it recently but still haven't had the time to play around with it.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of Bodhi linux. I've been using it on my laptop for years. Lightweight, looks good... and fast.

Reactions: GTP
I'm a fan of Bodhi linux. I've been using it on my laptop for years. Lightweight, looks good... and fast.[/Q

I used Bodhi Linux for some time. I loved the speed and the fact that it didn't brought programs pre-installed, besides Midori browser and Leafpad, from what I remember.

Back