Backtrack linux

i actually downloaded this today too. not tried it yet but they have been around for a long time.

I was a member of Auditor Security Collection when it merged with WHAX and from that merger came Backtrack.
To your question is it genuine, the answer is yes. is it any good? depends on the person taking the training.
If I was you, I would go to the forums as they have alot of "How To's" and can answer any questions you have.

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/forum.php

If you want to learn offensive security just go online and look it up theirs a ton of stuff on it. Their is a bunch of things online such as videos, books ranging from information gathering to exploitation.

I myself have thought of taking the courses to offer penetration testing to customers but decided against it as not many people would pay for such a service. Also because most people tend to have WEP so it takes about half a second to get into the network.

and yes the training is genuine, when it comes to how good it is I have no idea.

I can highly recommend their training and also Backtrack itself. I have recently been using version 5 and its a new level for them. Its excellent for people wanting to understand how to test networks, computers and systems for any vulnerabilities. There is also so much free stuff online about it just do a few simple searches.

Backtrack

The Offensive Security guys offer several courses (all penetration testing related) using their Backtrack distribution.

I took the 'Pentesting with Backtrack' course a couple of years ago and I have to give it high marks.

The cost of the course is very reasonable, especially if you compare it to other pen testing courses out there.

You will have VPN access to their servers throughout the course, and will be able to take the certification challenge at the end (far, really far from being easy).

I would highly suggest that you have some programming/scripting skills, a working knowledge of Linux, and security essentials before tackling the course.

Good luck.

I was looking at the courses recently. I heard the really hard bit you spoke of was something about trying to gain root/administrative access to 5 devices within the time limit.

Last edited:
It's a great OS, and I have used it myself. Back when I had a WEP key, and I didn't feel like setting up my router (cause I was a lazy bum) I watched a movie, and set aircrack-ng to mon0 and had it monitor my packets so I could crack the WEP key when I had enough IV's, took about 10 minutes, but I was away from the laptop for much longer, haha.

While I would recommend the training course, (since a lot of the applications are confusing) there's no better education other than playing around with the applications yourself, and learning a little bit so you can become familiar.

Last edited:
Back