Asus ET2301i - HELP!!! No display

Tusk

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster!

I have in my shop an Asus ET2301i AIO unit, that is not giving me video output.

History of it is:

came in over a week ago for a new SSHD fitting, so dropped in a 1TB Seagate Hybrid drive. Booted & installed perfectly. Then the micro switch for the power button self destructed, so replaced that & all was fine on Friday (May 1st) when customer collected at 5pm. Customer calls on Tuesday(May 5th) to say it started with a single black line vertically down the screen approx. a third from the LHS of the display. After rebooting, display it just black, totally dead!

I have taken it apart, reseated the RAM, CPU & ribbon cables etc. still no go. If i remove the BIOS battery & replace it, then fire the system up, the display gives me an Asus splash screen (tells me screen OK), fans spin up, lights come on, but nothing display wise. I have tried an external display via the HDMI & still nothing!!

Any ideas??

TIA Rich

How bad was the HSF when it came in? Any history of it shutting off on it's own? Sounds like you might have opened a can of worms if this AIO had a history of overheating. I suspect the GPU needs reflowed, cracked solder connections that didn't appreciate you flexing the motherboard during the repair.

Easiest out here may be let customer know you suspect bad video chip, and offer to refund labor or part of it, spec a new machine, transfer data, and be done, build a little profit back in. Maybe try to talk them into a tower if possible and tell them this is why you like towers better due to the fact that they are easier for a tech to work on if they have trouble.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I suspected GPU, but always nice to bounce ideas of others!

After digging around & pulling the event logs, it has been running for at least the last 6 days, lots of usage, until 4 minutes before he called, so putting it down to a coincidence & see what the customer says!

Sometimes laptops and maybe even AIO won't display anything via HDMI until it has reached the OS. With these, sometimes there's not even an option to change this in the BIOS. I use my laptop as an HTPC and this is the case.

With that said, you may very well have a bad BIOS setting or just a bad screen. Do you have a VGA port on this device? VGA always displays true with the onboard display. If not VGA, what about DVI?

I say this because HDMI is not useful in all scenarios of detecting bad internal components.

Hope this may help.

Reactions: CLC
Sometimes laptops and maybe even AIO won't display anything via HDMI until it has reached the OS. With these, sometimes there's not even an option to change this in the BIOS. I use my laptop as an HTPC and this is the case.

With that said, you may very well have a bad BIOS setting or just a bad screen. Do you have a VGA port on this device? VGA always displays true with the onboard display. If not VGA, what about DVI?

I say this because HDMI is not useful in all scenarios of detecting bad internal components.

Hope this may help.
+1 I have had some laptops including macbooks that will not display via the HDMI until the OS has booted.

Back