"Black Screen" on laptop on which I replaced the screen recently

Well, the screen is out and on its way back for replacement the second time (third screen when this new one arrives).

I had the presence of mind to take a photo of the actual video cable connector at the screen side when I pulled the screen today. It is virtually precisely the same as the corresponding one on the motherboard, down to having the small metal clip to hold it in place (not to mention the tape flap with the QR code on it). Taking it off entirely and reseating it had no effect, precisely as I'd suspected.

Perhaps the third time will be the charm! I certainly hope and pray that it is.

Dell_G15_5515_Screen_Connector_Screen_Side_Mobo_Same.jpg

By the way, has anyone ever used this type of tape for mounting screens?: https://smile.amazon.com/Multipurpose-Transparent-Adhesive-Mounting-Picture/dp/B08RHSV9DS

I am liking "the real stuff" less and less because it so often does not really peel away using the pull tabs like its supposed to, particularly if the thinner varieties are used.

I have seen this stuff used otherwise, and it seems like it is a potentially excellent choice for screen mounting. There are hundreds of makers of this "nano tape" that's washable and reusable, and it does come in different thicknesses.

Back when I used to do screen replacements, Dell machines were by far the WORST machines to deal with. We eventually stopped replacing screens on Dell machines and told customers to go to Dell Directly.

Is the brand of the replacement screen the same/ Model number? I'm curious if Dell may have done some "pin swapping" and it kills the LCD. Not the first time.

By the way, has anyone ever used this type of tape for mounting screens?: https://smile.amazon.com/Multipurpose-Transparent-Adhesive-Mounting-Picture/dp/B08RHSV9DS

I am liking "the real stuff" less and less because it so often does not really peel away using the pull tabs like its supposed to, particularly if the thinner varieties are used.

I have seen this stuff used otherwise, and it seems like it is a potentially excellent choice for screen mounting. There are hundreds of makers of this "nano tape" that's washable and reusable, and it does come in different thicknesses.
It might work IF it is easily removed. 0.08" is 2mm I think it might be a bit too thick, the stuff I've ordered is 0.6mm. Of course if you can find thinner tape, try it.

Last edited:
Is the brand of the replacement screen the same/ Model number? I'm curious if Dell may have done some "pin swapping" and it kills the LCD. Not the first time.

I have no idea at this point since the original screen went to Goodwill computer recycling back in January.

This is the first time I've heard anyone say this about Dell (or any brand, for that matter). I bought from laptopscreens.com on the recommendations from many here that they sell good product and stand behind it. The latter is absolutely true, and since they're not the manufacturer of the replacement screen, they're not directly responsible for the quality of the product (it could be a bad production run).

To me it makes no sense that the replacement works perfectly for weeks then suffers sudden death if it's "the wrong screen." (By the way, I had laptopscreens.com match screen to computer based on model and service tag.) I would have thought "the wrong screen" if the second replacement had been a "plug in and die almost immediately" like the first one did, but it didn't, it worked just fine until it didn't for about a month and a half.

If the "replacement replacement" behaves similarly, I will end up refunding the client entirely and tell her to send it to Dell for repair. I've never had a screen replacement fail even once before this, let alone twice. Something's wrong either with the screen or, as you say, the machine in that it somehow "frys" this particular third-party part. But since I do know that no one makes their own screens, but buys on-spec from Chinese manufacturers, it's mystifying.

I imagine I'll have the next screen by Thursday or Friday. We'll see how long it lasts.

Of course if you can find thinner tape, try it.

There are definitely thinner versions. I don't think I'll have time to get any for this go-round, but may buy some to have around later, probably slightly thinner based upon your observation and those in another topic about screen mounting tape.

I think it’s going to fry the second replacement in a month or two. I say again from experience. It’s very likely that laptop has other unseen physical damage. It’s also possible that the first screen failure spiked the video chip when it got cracked.

I think it’s going to fry the second replacement in a month or two.

And if it does, I'm done, and I intend to tell the client that when I return the computer to her. I am not going to charge a penny for this repair because it should never have been necessary to begin with. If it dies again, then we'll have to discuss asking for the screen back when Dell does the repair because the only thing I can do at this point is return it for replacement or store credit, and I don't want to eat the part cost.

This is the first and only situation like this I've encountered since entering computing in the 1980s. It's a real outlier on any bell curve.

I wouldn't have ever touched it since it was under warranty, I'd have called it in and let the MFG deal with it. At the 3rd display loss though, it'll be apparent that something else is wrong. And now the warranty is complicated because an unofficial part is involved.

I wouldn't have ever touched it since it was under warranty, I'd have called it in and let the MFG deal with it. At the 3rd display loss though, it'll be apparent that something else is wrong. And now the warranty is complicated because an unofficial part is involved.
The first call was caused by physical damage. It was a cracked screen. No warranty for any of that.

Well, I told the client that she would be better to send it to Dell for service, but she did not want to.

I gave her the information necessary to make an informed decision, and she did not go the "return to Dell" route.

If a client knows that my touching a machine is likely to void their manufacturer warranty, and I present that information in writing and explain that verbally, but elects to proceed my conscience is clear.

Like I said, in the time span since entering computing in the 1980s this is something that's never occurred before, and that I don't expect will ever happen again (except, perhaps, on this specific machine).

The first call was caused by physical damage. It was a cracked screen. No warranty for any of that.
Not true actually, Dell does offer an accidental damage policy. AND even if the unit doesn't have that, they SELL parts that can be used to repair the unit without worrying about the original warranty. You just have to source the parts from Dell, the prices aren't too bad either.

True, and we all knew that. It wasn't a question of this specific issue being an "under warranty" repair, but about whether having any third-party repair might void the manufacturer's warranty. It shouldn't, but it very often does.
Dell is pretty good at that? They'd just make you buy a screen from them if they suspect the screen is at fault. Once that part purchase is made, the original contract is honored. They'll require this if they replace the unit as a whole too. So your client on the next screen fault is simply in for a ride waiting for Dell's people to come swap the mainboard.

And I do apologize, because I should have recommended this path earlier. I've been through it you see, had an exec drop her latitude. And by drop I mean to say she hung it in a bathroom stall and the coat hook came out of the door!

Standard warranty wouldn't cover the damage obviously, but all that was damaged was the plastic bits on the corner. Dell sold me the plastic bits, documented it, and I rebuilt the laptop. They did give me some grief about a month later over a mainboard replacement due to defective USB ports. BUT when I showed them pictures of the damage showing the USB ports on the OTHER SIDE of the unit from where the impact was they replaced the main board anyway.

Dell is really good about this stuff, it's the only reason I still sell their stuff.

Well, I really, really hope we're not going to have to go the, "Send it to Dell," route in a month or so, but if the screen fails again, that's precisely what I will do, and assist the client in any way I can.

Every once in a very great while you get thrown a total curve ball, and this is one of those times if the machine keeps "eating screens." And given what's been said about laptopscreens.com, and how accommodating they've been throughout this, I'm not going to try to lay the blame directly at their doorstep.

Well, so much for my hopes. The replacement screen arrived today, and after following all precautions that are typical for installing a screen, I still get "backlight on, screen black" on boot. Everything's fine through HDMI, so it's not at the level of the video card, but I am now completely out of my depth and never have had the equipment that would be needed to diagnose what's going on in this situation.

Could be something on the motherboard, could be the video cable, but no matter what it is it shouldn't be happening on a machine that's not yet quite 6 months past its date of manufacturer.

It's going back to Dell and will be their problem. I will be assisting my client in whatever way she might need in getting this thing to Dell for warranty service and there will be no charge for "replacing the replacement screen" as neither one of us could ever have predicted what has transpired nor is either of us likely responsible for its having transpired.

[I also suspect the prior screen was just fine, but laptopscreens said nothing as far as having tested it on return and having it test good, and I'd have to presume they would do this in a situation like this one.]

I also suspect the prior screen was just fine, but laptopscreen said nothing as far as having tested it on return and having it test good, and I'd have to presume they would do this in a situation like this one.
I had a similar experience with an ASUS and two new screens that appeared to incompatible. Laptop Screen tested (and gave refunds for) the returned screens and confirmed both tested as perfectly fine. I asked after the return if they had tested it (I don't think they reported the test result on their own), so perhaps you should do the same . In my case, I think it was my test screen that worked fine and the customer was happy to have it, even though it wasn't new.

There is a lot of value in having known-good test screens on hand. I once sold one to a visiting European who desperately needed his screen replaced and couldn't wait for one to be delivered.

@Larry Sabo

If you've got enough volume for screen replacement to use "known good test screens" then you're absolutely correct. If I replace a screen once every several years, that's the most I do.

The juice is definitely not worth the squeeze in my specific situation.

I literally keep nothing (of note, I don't count spare screws and a few cables) on hand because there's seldom a call for replacements that can't (or won't) wait for me to order in the part. I refer out for those in a real rush, and I think that's happened twice in over 10 years.

so perhaps you should do the same .

FYI, I just did. If memory serves the first failure did not backlight at all after it went out. The one I just replaced definitely did.

I've asked them if either one or both tested as good after return.

Addendum: These guys are very responsive to updates to open tickets. After asking for test results on the last return I received the following, minutes later:

"We can absolutely share the test results, for this particular return our warehouse had stated:
'Screen good, back light good, no defect seen, turned on fine with color, back to stock.'"

I do find the "back to stock" comment interesting, not that I don't think it's entirely reasonable to resell them, but I didn't notice an "open box" page (or equivalent). I'll be looking next time!

Last edited:
Back