AOI PC/Mac Repair Micro Emergency Kit

Reaction score
I have come up with an AIO flash drive running Sergei WinPE and partitioned with an NTFS partition to hold all the .ISO files and windows tools you can imagine. This drive can install any windows OS as well as load my Acronis Windows Syspreped images for faster loading turnaround and includes all the diagnostic and repair tools I need. I also got my 128GB All MacOS installer flash drive with Mavericks through to Big Sur installers on it, with 2 slots left over for new Mac OS installs.

From these I also made a micro emergency kit that uses 4 microSD's: 1 - 64GB with a full MacOSX Sierra install with tools, 1 -128GB All Mac OS installer, 1 - 128GB AIO PC rescue disk, 1 - 400GB with Fab's 7 on it for backups, a microSD to SD adapter for laptop SD readers, and 2 small usb3.0 microSD card readers. It's rather cute and super small and portable. About 1/2" (127mm) H x 2" (508mm) L x 1" (254mm) W.

Pic_1.jpg
Pic_2.jpg
Pic_3.jpg

I realize that someone might have more suggestions or even something better, please post it here as I am eager to learn new stuff. If you are interested in the process, let me know and I will post it later. Cheers! Drew.

If you use Acronis to make your sysprep images, you have to use an Acronis' bootable drive to load that image onto a client computer, correct? Is one of the drives dedicated to that, or do you have a multi-boot setup (Rufus or similar)? Just curious about your process. Neat to get it all in a kit like that, though. I think I'd forget one of those SD cards in about a minute. I had to move my main tools flash drive to the same ring as my car keys to stop leaving it at the client's inadvertently. :)

It's rare that we do installs in the field - not never, but rare. We almost always bring the computer back to our bench to do nuke & paves. We have more control over the process that way, and if they have a ton of data, the data backup and restore can take too long to consider doing it in the field. MS has made it too easy to load Windows from scratch these days, but I've been thinking about going back to sysprep images just as a test - I think I'll setup a time trial between my two techs to see which process is faster - haha. I have Acronis, but I'm not sure why it wouldn't be simpler to just use the Windows tools, then I could use the same flash drive for both methods. Decisions, decisions.

I realize that someone might have more suggestions or even something better, please post it here as I am eager to learn new stuff.
I wouldn't choose to use µSD cards in the field – they're easy enough to lose on the bench, never mind balanced on my lap while on-site.

Having gathered all those useful tools in one place, consider how many of them will require updating, either occasionally or frequently.

I'll stick to my IODD and a couple of USB sticks.

I wouldn't choose to use µSD cards in the field – they're easy enough to lose on the bench, never mind balanced on my lap while on-site.

Having gathered all those useful tools in one place, consider how many of them will require updating, either occasionally or frequently.

I'll stick to my IODD and a couple of USB sticks.
I hear ya. Like I said, this is an emergency kit. Something to leave in the glove box of the car or in a jacket pocket, just in case you forget something. I would have it in my secondary jacket pocket for my bonehead moments in a costumers house (after Covid) when I realize I forgot my backup drive/flash drive on the tech bench. Heaven knows I've had my moments...
If you use Acronis to make your sysprep images, you have to use an Acronis' bootable drive to load that image onto a client computer, correct? Is one of the drives dedicated to that, or do you have a multi-boot setup (Rufus or similar)? Just curious about your process. Neat to get it all in a kit like that, though. I think I'd forget one of those SD cards in about a minute. I had to move my main tools flash drive to the same ring as my car keys to stop leaving it at the client's inadvertently. :)

It's rare that we do installs in the field - not never, but rare. We almost always bring the computer back to our bench to do nuke & paves. We have more control over the process that way, and if they have a ton of data, the data backup and restore can take too long to consider doing it in the field. MS has made it too easy to load Windows from scratch these days, but I've been thinking about going back to sysprep images just as a test - I think I'll setup a time trial between my two techs to see which process is faster - haha. I have Acronis, but I'm not sure why it wouldn't be simpler to just use the Windows tools, then I could use the same flash drive for both methods. Decisions, decisions.
Yes, Acronis is baked into the WinPE in the AIO. It is a bootable drive that boots to WinPE with a bunch of diagnostics baked into it, kinda like Hiren's. you can create the PE and install the PE version of Acronis yourself (instructions on Acronis' site), but I am super lazy so I found one that was already done.

I think Sysprep is the way to go as I have the updates installed with all the programs I usually install (Adobe reader, etc.) and my branding preloaded. When I am doing lots of Nuke and paves, I save tones of time. PLUS the added bonus of having them ready to lock and load on a flash drive is awesome. Yeah, sysprepping takes some time up front, but saves TONS on the back end just from having most of the updates done and your usual programs installed. I have Windows 7HP + Pro and Windows 10HP + Pro syspreps. I might do an 8.1, but I haven't need an 8.1 in years.

Remember, that the emergency kit is for emergencies, not for daily use in the shop. If I am at a friends and he says "Oh, BTW, I have this computer thing going on, can you look at it while you are here...", I have the micro kit handy. Same as I said above too for when I forget stuff. Though it's nice to have it around if all of my work stations are full and I have a system needing work that I can start on using the slower method, which is faster than having to have it sit and wait. I have to say that I am an "Always be prepared" guy and I have fail safes and redundancies for most things. Saved my ass too many times to count.
Totally this ^^^

Another thing re Fabs for backup- what is your sustained write speed to µSD like ? I'm forever disappointed at the headline figure quoted for branded USB3 thumb drives vs real world write speed.
Copying music, films or even for work stuff, I always get a 30%-50% drop off after 400 -800 MB. Would the usb3 enclosures for external M2 / NVMe drives any better? I guess I would be less likely to lose something that size!

That aside, an impressive setup Drew.
The speed is not awesome. Averages about 33MB/s so it takes about 4 min to do 6GB of mixed files. Nothing in comparison to my USB3.0 1TB ssd, but in a pinch and for emergencies, I think I would be glad to have it. I know that the size is an issue, which is why I would only use it in a pinch.

So the cool thing is, you can make the AIO on an external SSD drive if you like. Just need to partition it and BAM! An AIO PC drive with everything you use on it. Actually, I am gonna try to see if I can have an all in one WITH the Mac stuff on it. Hmmm, dunno if it's possible, but I will try it out. Something new to see if it can get done.

OK, an update. The 1TB rescue drive with the PC AIO Sergei boot, 400 GB backup partition, all the modern Mac OSX/OSXI installers, and 2 full installs with all my Mac tools (Sierra and Big Sur) frickin works! I am super surprised at this. I was able to install Sergei on the drive first (fat32) and then shrink it, switch the drive to GPT (still being able to boot Sergei as a primary partition), make a 400GB NTFS partition for backups, then clone over all the Mac installer partitions and the Mac OS install partitions from my Mac Triage drive and it frickin' works! An all in one drive for the dual Mac/PC tech. Sweet! Though I guess this makes my AIO micro rescue suite almost pointless, BUT STILL! I'll definitely keep them around for "just in case" moments. Now for the next challenge...hmm.

I use Ventoy - with any ISO's I require & Fabs & WRT + CrystalDiskInfo.
So Ventoy is a GREAT program and I am glad you didn't suggest it before I mucked around with my current configuration or I might not have been able to create the Mac\PC drive that I just did. Ventoy works fantastic for the windows AIO and I will be switching my current AIO config to this because it is so versatile. I cannot use it, however, on the Mac\PC drive as it cannot be converted to GPT because of the exfat partition and the way that the fat16 drive is setup. Wow, such a nice find. Thanx man!

Like I said, this is an emergency kit. Something to leave in the glove box of the car or in a jacket pocket, just in case you forget something.
Yes, I understand your intention. However, in the real world, you won't use it for a year or so (because you're not that bad at remembering to take stuff to site), by which time many of the tools – e.g., Windows .isos, AdwCleaner, even Fabs – will be old versions that either don't have the options you want, or are too old to waste time using for a refresh install, or get in the way by insisting on updating.

Oh, and storing solid-state storage in a car glove box is a recipe for failure – too hot in summer, certainly, and possibly too cold in winter.

I have said in another thread (can't be bothered to look for it right now, but it was specific to adding tools to a WinPE image), integrating multiple tools into a single blob is not, imo, a good idea. In real life, you don't need, or use, that many tools on site: usually, just enough to diagnose. If you're regularly reinstalling an operating system on site, you probably need to look at your working practices.

Yes, I understand your intention. However, in the real world, you won't use it for a year or so (because you're not that bad at remembering to take stuff to site), by which time many of the tools – e.g., Windows .isos, AdwCleaner, even Fabs – will be old versions that either don't have the options you want, or are too old to waste time using for a refresh install, or get in the way by insisting on updating.

Oh, and storing solid-state storage in a car glove box is a recipe for failure – too hot in summer, certainly, and possibly too cold in winter.

I have said in another thread (can't be bothered to look for it right now, but it was specific to adding tools to a WinPE image), integrating multiple tools into a single blob is not, imo, a good idea. In real life, you don't need, or use, that many tools on site: usually, just enough to diagnose. If you're regularly reinstalling an operating system on site, you probably need to look at your working practices.
I hear you, but I do find, in my life, I have used this option. I usually carry a ring of gig sticks in the glove box and I have had occasion to use them, in a pinch. I do have a friend, who is also a tech, that needed a tool or two on the sticks I carry, as well, and was LOATHE to ask me for it, because he thought that my carrying around the sticks in my glove box was ridiculous. I had to stick my tongue out at him for that, of course. I also must beg to differ on the microSD and flash drive level of endurance. I have found that, even going through the washer and dryer, my flash drives all still work. SD cards as well and so they are a bit tougher than you might think. Though I do understand the risks of leaving them in the glove box if one lived in Texas and it was high summer when you and the person in the next seat had a high likelihood of melting without air conditioning. Then I might not leave the kit in my glove compartment. As well, updating the kit is a part of it. I will be using the regular full SSD 1TB Mac\PC drive in my shop from now on, and so, I will be updating it from time to time and will update the Acronis images of the drive and the individual ones as well. I will take the time, because it is worth it to me.

I am not trying to advocate that you, or anyone for that matter, should use the kit. I am going to, because I have had the benefit of being able to use such things in the past and this replaces my huge ring of gig sticks that I carry around for that purpose. My mind is a little over zealous and pedantic and I like to be prepared for all eventualities. This is not something that I think everyone should do, nor is it something I hold others in contempt for not doing, either. I am just letting you and anyone who reads this know that this might be valuable to them and they are welcome to do it for themselves, or not, as is their preference. This was a project, ultimately, to make my own workflow better and to share it with others that might benefit. AND, make no mistake, to show off and feel important a bit. I do indulge my ego a bit from time to time. Keeps it from bugging me constantly. :cool:

So, a quick update. I was able to load Strelec and all of my diagnostic tools and images for PC on a 1TB SSD GPT drive with Rufus and then all of the installers for all the Mac OS's from Mavericks up to Big Sir, as well as 2 installs of OSx for diagnostics with a 400GB partition for backups. I am only able to boot into Strelec in UEFI mode, though, and cannot be booted in Legacy mode, though I tried finding a way to do it for many hours. If someone has a way to do this on a GPT partitioned drive, let me know. I would prefer to have this work in Legacy mode as well.

So, I think that this is going to be my regular carry around, but I will have my emergency kits parked in my main jacket pocket and in my main vehicle glove box.

Everything is working on both Mac and PC, so quite happy with this, but I am always open for any improvements that someone might come up with.

Back