Youtube critique...

Reaction score
Friend and I started doing a weekly show on tech news, our views on technology, and personal projects. It's essentially our version of the WAN show from LTT. Curious on "techy" peoples opinions?

I personally like the long form opinionated content, which is why I watch Rossmann and Eli. Just looking for some feedback on if we should keep on trucking along, shift our content a little, change the setup or equipment?

So far we've kept it up for over two months, 8pm EST every Monday!

You had me at Rossmann, but lost me at Eli.

From just a quick look, you need to get that mic up out of frame and do a better lower 3rd. And that background. Needs o be some design there. Also, are you sitting on stools? Look into the camera more and less pauses/studdering.

I understand its a new format for you. But please keep it under 60 mins or 45 would be better. The WAN show runs every Friday (yours needs to come out any other day), so if you timeline exceeds the hour mark, perhaps create your own niche whereas you have your tech show of say 30-45 mins but create a spin off of say 10 or 15 mins much like Tech Linked. A fair bit of your video would have been great for a Tech Linked sorta thing.

You had me at Rossmann, but lost me at Eli.
XD Eli aint bad, just old and grumpy...

And that background. Needs o be some design there.
Been talking off-camera about that, we need to get on that.

Also, are you sitting on stools?
We are. Bar stools at a normal height table to get the laptop screens lower and out of our faces.

Look into the camera more and less pauses/studdering.
Yeah, still a bit camera shy, that's going to have to be a thing that gets better over time.
I stutter when I talk regularly on a normal basis, that's something I haven't been able to fix. The pauses though, never noticed them!

But please keep it under 60 mins or 45 would be better.
You prefer shorter?

The WAN show runs every Friday (yours needs to come out any other day)
Ours is Mondays

create your own niche
I am looking at doing something like Lew Later (the unbox therapy guys new channel)

Thanks for the feedback! It's the fastest way for us to improve!

I could tell you were nervous or needed a shower cause you kept itching. I would be nervous too but try to not itch legs and face and side.

Didn’t get in more than 5 minutes so didn’t hear the content but looked like you guys were having fun.

or needed a shower cause you kept itching.
I do yard work on Mondays, so I'm usually freshly showered, just a bit itchy from the hard labor in the sun... :/

try to not itch legs and face and side.
I'll try to. Never thought about it being distracting, thanks!

but looked like you guys were having fun.
We love it so far. Literally decided to just record our conversation, we'd talk about this with or without a camera!

Let's put youtube in perspective ok?

If your part (and well I ended up as one of the suckers) that added to the total of this youtube video, now seriously folks we're all in the wrong business.

Edit : 2 million hits + it's a goddamn 21h video....

If your part (and well I ended up as one of the suckers) that added to the total of this youtube video, now seriously folks we're all in the wrong business.

Hell no. I'd shoot my monitor first. Thats almost as bad as this one:

Or this one:

@Your PCMD to be honest off video I could do both of the ones you posted as I can meditate on almost anything when I need to relax but the crap I posted .. talk about polluting one's mind. If it's zen fine I can deal with but pure garbage ie for example this crap

I'd hunt the YouTuber for some tests of my own.

Singling out one particular video out of millions is the opposite of putting something in perspective.

It might be me, but I enjoy long-form content, I like the background chatter, probably just personal preferences.

It is making me curious on what the split is for people who enjoy longform content vs people who like short quick snippets.

Some constructive criticism.

You all have a lot of improvement to attract long form viewers. First 4.5 minutes or so messing around just trying to get to the beginning. Plenty of other wasted time through the first 20 minutes. I gave up after that.

To much fiddling around with hands, especially you Jacob. Nothing wrong with hand movements but they should be used to embellish the content being presented. Your partner's eye contact was good, your's need improving. But both of you spent way too much time looking off screen. If you need to reference something on a larger screen that should be directly in front of both of you.

Effective speakers always plan and practice. The bad news is that takes time. A lot of it when just learning to present. The good news is, with time and practice, both of those take up less time.

I really did like, even though it was too long, the harpooning of Apple and their incredibly stupidly priced monitor stand.

Perhaps consider a podcast vs YouTube?

Then you don't have to worry about the video portion of it.

I find podcast are better suited for longer format content as they can play in the background.

When I'm watching a YouTube video it's because I want to see what they are talking about. Ie they have a product with them to show or similar

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Some constructive criticism.
Thank you.

First 4.5 minutes or so messing around just trying to get to the beginning. Plenty of other wasted time through the first 20 minutes. I gave up after that.
So skip introductions and topic headlines?

To much fiddling around with hands, especially you Jacob. Nothing wrong with hand movements but they should be used to embellish the content being presented.
yeahhhhh, I've been told that, it feels unnatural to not talk with my hands... Got to slowly work on that.

Your partner's eye contact was good, your's need improving. But both of you spent way too much time looking off screen. If you need to reference something on a larger screen that should be directly in front of both of you.
Yeah, the TV that has all the stream info is off to the side, we need to get it above the camera... The tech guy comes out of me and wants to watch the stats of the stream...

Wow Mark, you were brutal.
Good. Nice guys don't push me to be better.

I want to push more towards this:
I really enjoy these

Back