"The Free Antivirus Thread"

As of right now it protects against about 15,000 known bad items, it uses zero system resources and its free so why not?
One reason would be that it provides protection by loading the HOSTS file with innumerable entries and these can cause speed issues, especially on older XP systems.

One reason would be that it provides protection by loading the HOSTS file with innumerable entries and these can cause speed issues, especially on older XP systems.

Now I remember the details on this and why I quit using it. It will slow down even newer systems. Better solutions exists IMO.

Man, haven't seen or heard "spywareblaster" since waaaaay back in the day.

It's not an antivirus program....just puts in a few browser protection steps. Nothing that Chrome with the Adblock plus program with malware blocking enabled can't beat!

I have never noticed any slow down at all with SpywareBlaster. There is none because nothing is running in the background. Been using it for years from XP to 8.1 Its not popular anymore but neither is common sense and safe internet use. Its just one more layer of protection. If you actually know how to use a computer you wont need this or an AV but thats a whole other thread.

I guess I'm one of the few left still using MSSE. I find that it's not a resource hog and runs silent. No nag screens to upgrade, it doesn't "talk", it doesn't expire and the price can't be beat.

I'll give clients the option of buying a product or using the free AV solutions that most most ISP's offer. If they can't be bothered it's MSSE which is also on my bench rigs. I don't sell AV/AM products anymore.

Spybot and Spywareblaster were some of the first anti-malware apps I used. I just cleaned a machine that had Spybot installed. I didn't realize it until I went to check the hosts file and founds hundreds of entries. I did like their Teatimer feature.

I no longer rate MSE at all. If a client really doesn't want to pay for Kaspersky or Bitdefender then I will install MSE but I warn them it is pretty much only better than nothing and isn't really a security solution any more.

I no longer rate MSE at all. If a client really doesn't want to pay for Kaspersky or Bitdefender then I will install MSE but I warn them it is pretty much only better than nothing and isn't really a security solution any more.

On some Windows 8 machines I have been putting Unchecky, MBAE and ABP as well as the built in "Defender" MSSE. But this is only if they come in for a "speedup/junkware cleanup" and not a fully virus clean and the customer didn't want to pay for anything extra. I guess we really end up evaluating each machine to see what the customer wants or can afford.

Back