[REQUEST] Victus Gaming Laptop PC 16-e1000 (53G39AV) LCD replacement

ell

Reaction score
Hi, has anybody replaced the LCD on this model? Can you just pry the bezel off and pull the tape and drop the LCD out or do you have to remove the whole display assembly? I can't find any videos or info if you do.

Googlefu'd found this, looks like one needs to totally remove the base before one can get to the DP removal.

Have fun, hate these jobs, take up so much time. I had one the other day and underquoted as thought would be a quick and simple job...

DP removal starts at 32:45

preview.jpg

HP Victus Disassembly

Last edited:
yeah the manual doesn't really help, hints you could maybe do it but not for sure. I think I'll agree with you with my googling. I'm going to pass on the job, my hands are too shaky for complete teardowns on these gaming laptops, thanks guys for your replies.

Yeah I looked at that earlier but it mentions doing it with display still connected to computer but I'm not convinced
It looks like you could do it still attached but it would be difficult to access the bottom of the bezel because it is taped down. Not impossible but a royal PITA. One option is to just replace the bezel so you can just rip the thing off and don’t try to keep it intact. I have to do this with many Lenovo X1 bezels that are rubber and totally glued down.

It looks like you could do it still attached but it would be difficult to access the bottom of the bezel because it is taped down. Not impossible but a royal PITA. One option is to just replace the bezel so you can just rip the thing off and don’t try to keep it intact. I have to do this with many Lenovo X1 bezels that are rubber and totally glued down.
I posted on my Web site last year I'm not servicing custom builds or gaming PCs anymore, just too much of a PITA, my competitor is now charging $200 extra for them . It's slow right now, I thought maybe this would be a standard job, but no

I posted on my Web site last year I'm not servicing custom builds or gaming PCs anymore, just too much of a PITA, my competitor is now charging $200 extra for them . It's slow right now, I thought maybe this would be a standard job, but no
Pretty much a standard job for any thin laptop anymore. You have to disassemble everything. I’ll gladly do it but most people don’t want to pay the cost.

Pretty much a standard job for any thin laptop anymore. You have to disassemble everything. I’ll gladly do it but most people don’t want to pay the cost.
Yeah break fix is pretty much dead it seems, they don't want to pay or I get calls constantly for kids that did a custom build and they just want free diagnostics.

Which makes sense, unless you're talking about an almost brand-spankin' new gaming machine. My relatively recent saga, well documented in these parts, with replacing the LCD in a gaming PC that I now firmly believe had a bad motherboard is one example of where the cost of repairs (had I charged for replacing the replacement screen that we thought had gone bad - but hadn't) would easily have been at least 2/3, maybe more, of the original cost of the machine. And that's at my low, low rate of $75/hour.

However, dealing with the displays is way more of a PITA than anything in the base unit. I'm finding that I've gotten quite good, and fast, at popping the bottom cover off of thin laptops because I've had to do that for years now. I still wish that bay doors would make a comeback, and there's no reason they couldn't, even on thin laptops. But they "cost too much" and slow down the assembly line, which is all that counts, for any mass manufactured item, these days.

I honestly don't think that "right to repair" applies very much to Windows computers, anyway. You can source spare parts, tear 'em apart, and put 'em back together. All right to repair is about, at its heart, is making sure that the basic things needed to allow repair are available to do so and for third-party repair entities.

It's become critical in the automotive repair industry, and to a lesser, but still significant, extent in the appliance and HVAC repair spheres. The use of proprietary hardware but, more importantly, software that those who do repairs other than "the official repair folks" cannot possibly access at all, many times, or without huge expense makes third-party repair impossible.

The repair doesn't have to be easy, but it does have to be reasonably possible for anyone with the correct skill set and basic equipment to do.

I always compare the right to repair to Shrek and Donkey's conversation:

Donkey: You forgot to tell me I have the right to remain silent!

Shrek: You have the right, what you lack is the capacity!

That's my take.

Anyways, fools keep wasting money on stuff like this (Custom laptops that can't be easily repaired). I'd quote an insane price like $999. Apple does this. I mean partly being sarcastic, Apple is giving free capatalist advice, so why not try it?

If they agree you can do one of Homer's woohoo! If they decline, ah, you can think of something quipy to think or say.

I'd quote an insane price like $999. Apple does this.

We quoted $420 to replace a battery on a MBP (out of Apple Care, of course) last week - After looking at the steps (dissolving the glue with solvent, shear number of steps in the disassembly, assuming the trackpad cable is destroyed in the process, cost for the OEM parts) I think that was probably low. I told them it was crazy and the shouldn't do it - I hope they take my advice.

We quoted $420 to replace a battery on a MBP (out of Apple Care, of course) last week - After looking at the steps (dissolving the glue with solvent, shear number of steps in the disassembly, assuming the trackpad cable is destroyed in the process, cost for the OEM parts) I think that was probably low. I told them it was crazy and the shouldn't do it - I hope they take my advice.
Apple is the biggest culprit of making over-priced "disposable-fill-up-the-landfill" machines, the only thing I'll work on with them is replacing ssd's or HD, not worth the risk/reward for me, kinda like the old MSFT Surface.

They're trying to push through the right to repair law too to make stuff easier to repair but I'm not holding my breath
While I'm all about keeping and using things as long as possible the "promised" outcome isn't what many think it'll be. To start the labor will still be then same because the devices will still be built the same way. Parts aren't going to be any cheaper. There won't be huge financial saving nor will there be a repair shop in every neighborhood. Because this will drive up OEM costs they'll pass those along to the buyers.

Because this will drive up OEM costs they'll pass those along to the buyers.
But I can't believe that it will drive them up much, at all. It's an "everything old is new again" thing with including simple things like service bay doors, which have to cost less than a penny per unit as opposed to a single sheet bottom.

At least the option to repair, reasonably simply, would exist again. And regardless of the added cost to buy something that is, if it's not more than a few dollars at the time of purchase (and it shouldn't be any more than that), I'm all for it.

But I can't believe that it will drive them up much, at all. It's an "everything old is new again" thing with including simple things like service bay doors, which have to cost less than a penny per unit as opposed to a single sheet bottom.

At least the option to repair, reasonably simply, would exist again. And regardless of the added cost to buy something that is, if it's not more than a few dollars at the time of purchase (and it shouldn't be any more than that), I'm all for it.
That's not the way manufacturing works. No one is going to spend money, time and effort to manufacture nickel parts much less complex circuit boards unless there's a predictable demand. Like wise you can't repair those failed boards in an economic manner.

This is the way it's played out in the printer market. Generally speaking printers under $400, it's a range, are not repairable at any price. The OEM's can't justify the carrying costs for individual spares. They also know that the labor pool that can do the work has shrunk over the years. Instead they allocate a portion of production to be held back for warranty exchanges. People with extended warranties typically receive cash value for a comparable current printer or an actual comparable printer.

Also need to consider enduser behavior in this picture. The vast majority of people do not have backup smartphones, etc, They just have the one they are using. Loosing those functions is not something they can live with if it goes beyond a couple of days. I hear that all the time from my customers. Smartphone stops working. If they don't have a replacement plan it's on to a new one. Even at Apple stores they plan a turnaround of same day for Apple Care coverage iPhones and iPads.

Of course this is actually a large "market". There's other parts which would make economic sense. Like many large earthmovers, combines, etc. The OEM's all have proprietary pieces and parts. They're trying to block 3rd part sources. But these machines start at $200k plus.

That's not the way manufacturing works. No one is going to spend money, time and effort to manufacture nickel parts much less complex circuit boards unless there's a predictable demand. Like wise you can't repair those failed boards in an economic manner.

Not every blessed part need be repairable to meet the requirements of "right to repair" laws.

I've never expected that every blessed part for every blessed item/object be available. But there are "standard maintenance items" for almost any arena, and in computing things like RAM, HDDs, keyboards (in laptops, and those used to be replaceable), etc., fall into that category.

In the automotive industry, for years, there have been many "assemblies" that are the smallest granularity of part that manufacturers have provided. The clever (and I've been among them) have figured out how to repair the one tiny part in a multi-hundred to multi-thousand dollar assembly without replacing it. But I don't expect the OEMs to provide anything but the assembly.

Back