[REQUEST] Victus Gaming Laptop PC 16-e1000 (53G39AV) LCD replacement

I've never expected that every blessed part for every blessed item/object be available. But there are "standard maintenance items" for almost any arena, and in computing things like RAM, HDDs, keyboards (in laptops, and those used to be replaceable), etc., fall into that category.
It depends. If the OEM is forced to make parts available, they will design them different, and make a token amount for the repair hippies, and destroy the mold once production ends. That's if they are being nice.

Look how Apple makes you replace the complete top for keyboard replacement. As long as the part is available they can profess they are available despite a big price.

So in reality, the OEM holds the power. They will not give it up quietly.

So in reality, the OEM holds the power.

This has never NOT been the case, regardless of the type of OEM.

I really don't see how anyone here, who's been doing what we do for any period of time, cannot clearly see that the trend toward un-repairability has been a very bad thing indeed, and intentional.

I rant against automotive designs that are every bit as bad as the computer ones, too. I don't care how long spark plugs are designed to last (and you can expect lifetime, truly, for iridium and ruthenium plugs) there are "things that happen" to far too many cars where replacement on a significant subset is going to be necessary. Designing a car such that the engine has to be pulled (and, yes, it has been done) to replace spark plugs is a crime as far as I'm concerned.

At a bare minimum, and that doesn't exist for many laptops now, being able to remove the bottom cover with relative ease to get at things like the SSD, RAM, etc., should be legally required if it's not going to be done otherwise. I get why smartphones are held together almost entirely with glue strips, and even why thin displays are, too, but the main body of any computer that has a keyboard (real, whether laptop or desktop) needs to be serviceable. They shouldn't become throw-away items because you just can't fix 'em.

Design for assembly-line convenience above all else made things quite bad enough, thanks.

Plastic melt rivets are thinner than any screw mount that can be fabricated. So there is some(not much mind you but some) justification for doing it that way.

Phones are also becoming more unserviceable because of the requirements for waterproof cases. Repair shops lack the ability to restore watertight seals.

Phones are also becoming more unserviceable because of the requirements for waterproof cases. Repair shops lack the ability to restore watertight seals.

If you want a watertight phone, that does come with the territory, that's for sure.

But heaven knows that there are plenty of other options available.

I had the fun (and, yes, it was my choice and, yes, it was done for my education/amusement) of replacing the keyboard only on a top unit on one of my laptops that was originally affixed by plastic melt rivets. I'll take ever-so-slightly thicker, thanks.

But it really hit me when I was dealing with my partner's ancient, consumer grade Toshiba Satellite c55 series just how much lighter, thinner, and (often, but not always) cheaply-made new laptops, including my own, have become. That thing had been through hell and survived it with aplomb. It's certainly not difficult to carry, but when you pick it up and then pick up any machine produced in at least the last 5 or 6 years, it felt like a tank. It also had the service bay doors that I do so miss.

I'm not under any illusion that much of what I'd like to see come back will ever come back, and even if a small part of it were to do so it will likely be the direct result of "right to repair" laws, much like USB-C universality which was on its way is being majorly pushed by legal developments in the EU. I've never believed that "the invisible hand of the marketplace" alone gives the best results.

'Well-regulated free markets' is not an oxymoron, but a necessity for good economic outcomes.
~ Peter Diamond, winner of the 2010 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences

I'm not advocating for OEM, I'm just stating where the powers be.

Thanks for the clarification. I've gotten, I guess, to the point where I'm becoming old and very cranky about certain things, while having entirely let go of others.

Ability to repair is one of those things I think needs to make a comeback, in a very big way, for a variety of reasons. Hence my intense feelings on this.

It appears that "fight the power" is going to be needed, and currently has a good start, at the very least.

Back