The Car Maintenance Thread

Interesting thread. I personally can barely check my own oil level. I was never really interested in fixing cars (or anything else for that matter). Just computers. It's interesting to me that so many members on here know about car stuff too. It must just be how the tech's mind works. I'm sure I'd enjoy it if I got into it, but I've never been a fan of hard, physical work or getting my hands dirty. And storing 20 computers is easy. 20 cars on the other hand...forget about it! This is why I got into fixing computers instead of cars.

Everyone saying 3,750 miles per change is excessive....

I generally do not disagree, but the manual says 3,750 or 7,500, which is a huge difference. Some of my driving conditions would be considered severe because they are not all highway miles in mild weather.

Regardless, my car takes 5W-30 API SN. It doesn't specify conventional vs. synthetic or anything like that. At any rate, I am not worried about the oil breaking down but rather contaminates getting into it. Then PCV oil venting will create more volatile emissions that will cause build up on the back of valves etc. Oil does so much more than keep metal parts from fusing together. It cools, cleans, acts as hydraulic fluid adjusting valve timing and lift, tensions timing chains and belts, and even acts as a seal conditioner!

The two other things to do are change air filters ever 15,000 and use only adequate octane, top-tier fuel - there IS a difference!

Regardless, I am a firm believer that vehicle manufacturers set oil change intervals NOT oil companies.

WOW!
==================

Got stranded on the road last night. My evil Buick Lucerne (2008, 3800engine) died while driving home from a dinner out. What a feeling eh?

I had the car towed to my house which was only about 3 or 4 miles away. Luckly, I carry good insurance and the tow was covered. :|

So, I started digging into this problem. Car turns over but refuses to start. So, I hooked up my trusty OBDII scanner and found no error codes. Darn it. Cant be a simple diagnosis ever. The parts that fail are always the ones that do not report trouble codes. So, I was looking thru some data on the scanner and I could smell a nice burning rubber/plastic like smell and a cold shiver went down my spine. So, I shut the car off (key on, no crank) and looked under the hood. What do I find? I had a coil (one of 3) short out and burn. :(

So, I begged and borrowed a ride from my neighbor because my GF is away for the weekend. I picked up 3 coil packs and replaced them. After that the car started but ran very rough. I figure the possibly the coil that went bad probably took out my Ignition Control Module! I have to go out and check for spark on that coil and see what is up. However, The car does stay running but very rough. I took it up the road and back kinda in limp mode. I think this is going to get rather expensive.

So, Car thread : Anyone ever hear of something like the coil shorting out and taking the ICM with it? When I checked the coil is was pretty darn hot to the touch before I replaced it. Now they are all nice and cool after the replacement but probably that one coil pack may not be firing.

:(

Gotta get this thing running today.... Gonna have to limp on down to auto parts store as my neighbor has left for the day.

Evil Buick.....

So, Car thread : Anyone ever hear of something like the coil shorting out and taking the ICM with it? When I checked the coil is was pretty darn hot to the touch before I replaced it. Now they are all nice and cool after the replacement but probably that one coil pack may not be firing.
Do the coil packs fit directly to the plugs or do you have HT leads. Could be a bad HT lead it's that latter, or a HT shorting to ground, which could be what caused a coil pack to fail. If the coil packs fit directly to the plugs, check the plug for carbon tracking.

Do the coil packs fit directly to the plugs or do you have HT leads. Could be a bad HT lead it's that latter, or a HT shorting to ground, which could be what caused a coil pack to fail. If the coil packs fit directly to the plugs, check the plug for carbon tracking.

I dont know what HT stands for but the spark plug wires plug right into the coils. I figure the lower coil shorted out and zapped the Ignition control module. I should have checked it of course but Im pretty confident Thats the issue. Probably because the ICM blew the other plugs may or may not be firing either.

HT? What is that?

Since fall is in the air now its time to update the car maintenance thread ;)

Sitting on the front porch of my house with my girlfriend said "Awe, Isnt that cute?..."

chipmunk640.jpg

Yah, Real cute.

ChipmunkCarDamage640.jpg

coffee

The key to a long life out of your car is not over doing it with car maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Interesting thread. I personally can barely check my own oil level. I was never really interested in fixing cars (or anything else for that matter). Just computers. It's interesting to me that so many members on here know about car stuff too. It must just be how the tech's mind works. I'm sure I'd enjoy it if I got into it, but I've never been a fan of hard, physical work or getting my hands dirty. And storing 20 computers is easy. 20 cars on the other hand...forget about it! This is why I got into fixing computers instead of cars.

In my case it was a function of family knowledge. Both of my grandfathers were welders / diesel mechanics / truck drivers. My dad does HVAC, and I've got an uncle in every other trade. So by the time I hit high school I was just as good with small and large engines as I was computers. Now I chose to develop the computer thing professionally, but I still turn a wrench on my own to save money. Especially if the weather is nice and I have a free Saturday and some kids interested in helping. I won't shy away from paying the mechanic when the need strikes though, because if I can sell the time instead, I make more money than I lose.

From the IT side I find the information helps because I know a little bit about everything you're ever going to see in any structure or automotive application for our toys. It really helps with integration problems.

I believe those would be spark plug wires that have been chewed through, probably because they were salty due to leftover road salt from the winter.

The real worry is that they seem to have eaten the oil filler cap too.
That would be a 710 device.
710.jpg

What are we looking at in the red circled area?

Yep. Those were the spark plug wires to the #2 and #6 cylinders. They look almost like they were cut. However, For the fact that for the last few days we watched the chipmunks hanging around the car.

The stem and cap unscrew from the base of the oil filler to remove the Plastic shroud on the top of the engine. It is a 3800 engine.

Back