Sad these scams exist. This time it turned way bad.

Saw this on the news earlier this evening. Horrific. And even with the scam part involved, the guy with the revolver should have the book thrown at him and end up in a cell for the rest of his days.

That woman posed no threat, none, that was appropriate for the use of lethal force. What a sorry pass things have come to in America when it comes to firearms!

Shocking a confused older man and a poor lady just doing her business. So UBER bans the account, great the scammer then just opens another one under a false id as I can be sure where these scammers originaly came from.

Saw this on the news earlier this evening. Horrific. And even with the scam part involved, the guy with the revolver should have the book thrown at him and end up in a cell for the rest of his days.

That woman posed no threat, none, that was appropriate for the use of lethal force. What a sorry pass things have come to in America when it comes to firearms!
We are in agreement on this. Absolutely inexcusable behavior. He should be in prison for the rest of his life.

It's a small step from dogwhistling "we all know who's responsible" to demonization of specific racial or national groups.

If anyone had done that, you'd have a legitimate concern. We actually do know who did the shooting, no one has mentioned race, and we have every reason to suspect this was an intentional setup by someone.

What's controversial? What's to escalate. No one has made even the slightest hint at conspiracy theory, racial finger pointing, or otherwise. There's preemptive action, and there's action based on nothing but speculation and conjecture. Your approach falls into the latter.

The worst part is that I believe the man AND the Uber driver were set up. The voice on the phone said he was going to send someone to kill him and his family. How was he supposed to know the Uber driver had been called to his address for a package pickup and wasn't there to "kill him and his family"? Coincidence? I doubt it. I believe they were both set up and they were both victims of the same scammer.

I believe they were both set up and they were both victims of the same scammer.

That is what all law enforcement seems to believe, too. This is a particularly perverse prank/scam (and I am not trying to use the word prank lightly) and no matter what the consequences might have been, you can be sure they would not have been pleasant for both parties. In this case, tragically, things turned deadly, and for no justifiable reason based upon all available evidence.

It's just so profoundly sad, and infuriating. I agree with those who say the person who put this whole mess in motion, if identified, needs to be prosecuted as well.

I agree. It IS profoundly sad. It's obvious the man was out of his mind in fear this was his killer that showed up. She thought she was picking up a package and feared for her life, when the man came charging out with his gun. And she had every right to be. Who could possibly even CONSIDER setting up something like this so that at least one person would kill another? There has got to be a special place in hell for the person who did this.

We actually do know who did the shooting, no one has mentioned race, and we have every reason to suspect this was an intentional setup by someone.
My concern is with the statement that "I can be sure where these scammers originaly came from", not with the identities of the shooter and the shootee (which seems pretty clear, and who both appear to be victims here).

This seems most likely to be a practical joke by a local kid with a personal grievance than anything else, and the suggestion that there's an organized group behind it - and that one of our members "knows" where they come from - doesn't belong here.

Who could possibly even CONSIDER setting up something like this so that at least one person would kill another?

Who knows? It's unfathomable.

But it's equally unfathomable to shoot someone 3 times who's backing away from you in abject fear with each pace you take. Laws can, and should, take into account specific circumstances any time lethal force (whether actually lethal or not in a given instance) is used. It has to be justifiable. In this case, based on all available video evidence, it absolutely was not. That's the reall horror, in the end, that a man who was under no threat, none, to life and limb in the moment, and continued to NOT be, would ever for even a moment consider discharging a firearm. It's perverse!

Shoot first and ask questions later should not ever be tolerated in a civilized society, on the part of law enforcement or the citizenry.

Shoot first and ask questions later should not ever be tolerated in a civilized society, on the part of law enforcement or the citizenry.
You could see the crazy amount of fear in his face the whole time. Now, he has to live with what he's done. That kind of punishment would/could outweigh any type of punishment the court system will give him.

That kind of punishment would/could outweigh any type of punishment the court system will give him.

Oh, that I do know. But that doesn't put aside the need to "make an example," even if a huge sentence were to be reduced. It's long past time that shootings where no credible threat was present were punished to the fullest extent of the law.

My concern is with the statement that "I can be sure where these scammers originaly came from", not with the identities of the shooter and the shootee (which seems pretty clear, and who both appear to be victims here).

This seems most likely to be a practical joke by a local kid with a personal grievance than anything else, and the suggestion that there's an organized group behind it - and that one of our members "knows" where they come from - doesn't belong here.
You seem to make an assumption upon my comments do you? Well that is up to oneself and upon how one interprets it carry on, and good day to you good sir.

gary-oldman-yes.gif

I will end my converation here in regards to your thought process. As it is of no use continuing it in such a thread, thankyou for your concern.

Back