Review my phonebook ad!!!

Great looking ad. You might want to add something about Virus and Spyware removal. I think that about 50% of all my calls are for virus and spyware work.

Change "Set-up" to "Setup"

Did a designer from the phonebook company create that ad, or is it your work?

If they did the design, how much did it cost?

It's correct the way it is. "Setup" is a noun, "Set Up" is a verb.

"I ran setup after I set up the computer."
Either way, the hyphen should be taken out. And I think the title of a service should be a noun (PC Setup) just as training, the way it is used, is a noun.

Thanks for the advice, some people I talked to feel that the AD should be a bit more emotional, I find a lot of computer ads are very stale.

I hired a friend of my stepdad's who use to have his own advertisement business, he made it for about $250 bucks. I had the phone people change the colour and change some of the text. I might change all makes and models since they are assumed in business and add something about business consulting or security systems... I am also taking that advice about virus/spyware as I noticed most of my competitors don't mention it in their ads or just put it in the borders.

Hey guys just thought I would update you, after retooling my ad this is what I came up with. Changed my design for a few reasons. Already have a red and white computer "doctor" in the phone book. so thought my ad looked to similar. Also found this stood out a lot more as reading text inside the red is a little difficult. What do you guys think?

http://www.computerheroes.ca/samplead5.pdf

Here is my ad that went life about 2 months ago.

http://dsimage.dexknows.com/previews/SALY/DEFAULT_P102325724_large.jpg

Not to be a downer but I have had 21 total calls from my ad. It is in the most used book here in my market.

1 call turned into a job (was the only call wanting computer service)
1 call was a guy wanting a job
the other 19 calls were from other yellowbook advertises and other people trying to sell me services.

What a great waste of money, I really fill ripped off right now.

I would really suggest you think twice about an ad in the book.

Money can be spent way better other places......I mean really check it out.

I dont care how much reports and material the rep shows you about how much you can expect in calls, even talking about your category in your market it is all a bunch of lies.

half of the ppl today are going online if not more, that was a report I read last year.

Well anyways just wanted to let you know my experience and try to have you look into it before wasting money and potential stopping business I have heard a lot of company go bankrupt because of yellowpages ads.

Anyways, make sure you can afford it even if you don't get any calls is what I would say.

I am lucky and will beable to still pay my bill but it will deffiantly put a major draw down on my first year in biz, unless there is still the possiblitly my ad picks up or I get that onejob that can pay for it, but right now I am not very optimistic.

What advertising method do you use to get your customers then? How much competition do you have in the phone book? are you in a big city?

My phone book has maybe 4-5 companies, each with poor quality ads (and poorer service, i test called a competitor and i asked what guarantees they have on virus removal and they said the only thing they can promise is ill get another). 1 customer a month would justify the $500 or so its going to cost me.

Right now I am the most prominent ad in my category. I live in a large populated city actually multiple cities that have grown into each other.

The way I advertise is mainly social networking and getting business cards out.

Spread the word as much as possible.

Flyers, craiglist etc.

Letip had been awesome for me.

For business clients I either meet them while out and about or I send letter to them etc. target ones.

for residential it is slow to get them but if you do a good job alot will market for you and be repeat customers. Just takes a few months of it to get a snow ball going on it.

Give cards out to everyone, even friends and family, let them know you are really needing to get clients in and that is means alot to your success and they will help out alot too.

I think there is nothing wrong with a phonebook ad you just have to do it right. By that, I don't mean look in the book and see what everyone else is doing. Quite the opposite. There are several tutorials that can help you design a yellow pages ad. Google for it. Some of the basics, going by memory:

never make your company name the headline for your ad unless your name is very well known. Customers will find your name once your ad convinces them to call you.

Which was another point. How do you differentiate your add from the next. When a customer is looking in the phonebook for a computer tech, why would they choose your ad to call instead of the one next to yours?

These were the type of things I tried to keep in mind when designing my ad. Not enough posts to link to the picture...here is the text of my ad. Business card sized $235/month

Internet Connection Down?

Here’s your first step. Unplug the power from your modem and router. Wait 60 seconds and plug your modem back in. Wait 2 minutes and plug your router back in. Try to reconnect. If you are still having problems with your internet, spyware, or you want to make your data bulletproof with online backups call us today.

CALL NOW FOR A FREE PHONE CONSULTATION!

Network Installation ~ Wireless Setup
On Site Service ~ Windows/Linux Servers
Maintenance Contracts ~ Volume Licensing

COMPUTER SCENE INVESTIGATIONS

Plus phone number, website, and small logo.

The point is to try and build some trust with the reader. Also, get into their head a little. My thinking was 'Why are they looking in the phone book instead of online?' Maybe their internet is down. While giving them that information may seem stupid, if it works for them, hopefully they will remember since it's pretty unusual to get free info and call me next time they have a problem.

Anyways, hope your ad works well!

Roland

Last edited:
Back