Unlock Android phone?

katz

Reaction score
Any of you guys unlock your Android phone? I see websites/software online to do it, I just don't know what is legit. I also ran my IMEI number through a couple of sites to determined if my phone is locked, and the results didn't really tell me. Comments/Suggestions. Thanks!

The only times I've unlocked devices, whether my own or for someone else, is if they wanted to change carriers but keep the device they acquired from another, and that was currently locked to that carrier.

It's not all that hard to do, but there's really no reason to do it unless you are jumping ship and want to keep your existing device on the new carrier's network.

My last several phones, purchased from third-party sellers, were unlocked from the beginning, so I could go to any other carrier at a moment's notice.

The only times I've unlocked devices, whether my own or for someone else, is if they wanted to change carriers but keep the device they acquired from another, and that was currently locked to that carrier.

It's not all that hard to do, but there's really no reason to do it unless you are jumping ship and want to keep your existing device on the new carrier's network.

My last several phones, purchased from third-party sellers, were unlocked from the beginning, so I could go to any other carrier at a moment's notice.
Yes, that's it - we are looking to possibly go with another carrier & take our current phones along. I figured it is easier now. I remember using Bitpm/other years ago, and it was a bit tricky to modify phones at that time.

Since I see you are in the USA, it is now legally required that any device can be unlocked from a given carrier after some period of time has elapsed since purchase. That is, you can't get the latest and greatest under your current carrier's upgrade plan and jump ship a week later. But if you've had your device for a year or so, you can.

Do a web search on your carrier and "unlock phone" or "unlock device." You should get a result akin to this one: T-Mobile device unlock | T-Mobile Support that will give you details on how to do it for your device with that given carrier, and what the terms are as far as how long you must have had the device before it can be unlocked without cost/penalty.

I don't know about USA, but in UK and I think EU the carrier HAS to unlock your phone without charge. All you need to do is contact them, they have to unlock. this is for Android phones, don't know about iPhones.

I don't know about USA, but in UK and I think EU the carrier HAS to unlock your phone without charge. All you need to do is contact them, they have to unlock. this is for Android phones, don't know about iPhones.

The same is true in the USA, but only after the user actually owns the phone. It is most common in the USA for users to purchase their phones through plans with their carriers where they ultimately "get the phone for free" if they stay with that carrier long enough, usually 24 months for flagship devices.

If you want to unlock prior to your "period of payment" being complete, you can pay the remaining balance due for the device, and they must unlock it.

This policy makes sense, to me, or else you would have unscrupulous people running between various carriers to get "the latest and greatest" devices from those carriers at no up front cost, then immediately jumping ship and taking them along.

There is no restriction on a device purchased outright, at full cost, from any carrier that is locked to it when purchased.

Back