I want to learn

jawaidbazyar

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to learn about you and your customers, and your thinking about "cloud" services.

Of course, the huge trend over the past 10 years has been virtualization, and more specifically, migration of what used to be local server / software services to 'the cloud' - of course IaaS - Amazon AWS, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, but also SaaS - Office 365, Google Apps, etc.

Lately I have been hearing a lot of talk about "data repatriation" where businesses want to bring control of their data back closer to home. For some larger business this means hosting data themselves again. But, since the value proposition of not running your own data center is still valid, I am wondering about whether some folks are thinking about leasing data center or perhaps dedicated servers, instead of bringing fully inhouse.

So, I'd like to start a hot and heavy discussion around this and the following questions:

First, do you think "cloud repatriation" is a real thing?

What % of your customers use cloud computing resources such as AWS, Azure, google, etc?

For a typical “cloud” customer, what are the drivers for them to put their workloads into a hyperscale cloud?

What OS’s do they run in the cloud? Windows / Linux / other

What does a typical cloud deployment look like? (e.g., 2 AD, 1 File Server, 1 Exchange, etc.)

To your mind, what are the pro’s and con’s of this approach?

What % of your customers use on-premise computing resources?

What are the drivers for them to keep workloads local?

What does a typical local deployment look like? (e.g., 2 AD, 1 File Server, 1 Exchange, etc.)

Do you use local hypervisors? If so what type (VMware, KVM, other)

To your mind, what are the pro’s and con’s of this approach?

Is there overlap? Do you have customers that are both hosting workloads in cloud and hosting locally?

What are some examples of this?

What are the reasons for splitting workloads in this way?

What do those deployments look like?

<===been doing the IT consulting for SMB's thing for >30 years now.
Years ago really focused and grew with Small Business Server...and we'd have larger clients with multiple servers, on prem Exchange, DCs, app servers, file/print servers, etc.
We're around ~200 business clients
MOST.....of our clients, are under 50 users...we do have a few with over that, and even over 100 users.
Around 95% of my clients are under 25 users...so they were typically 1 maybe 2 servers on prem.
I've really focused on getting rid of my clients on prem servers, moving them to M365 Business Premium. I enjoy far less stress that comes with this, they're much easier to manage also, much easier to setup their laptops/desktops...since InTune can automate so much stuff when you take a computer out of the box, or even change users on a device.

Clients enjoy the flexibility of this, especially since Covid made "work from home" such a popular thing. Equal access to company data no matter where you are.
Many clients have switched from desktops...to laptops with docking stations/multiple monitors....flexibility in working from office or working from home. Dock/monitor/keyboard kit for the office...and for home. One laptop...that goes back 'n forth.

Much lower costs for the client.

No monthly server MSP maintenance. No server refreshing every 5 or 7 years. No costly server backup. No costly server warranties to maintain for its life. No large server class battery backups to replace every 5 years.

M365 Business Premium includes best in breed email filtering and additional security...so no 3rd party annoying mail filtering system and those annoying daily quarantine digests. Easy spam management within the right click of Outlook.
Also includes managed updates for Windows and Office.
Also includes top notch next gen antivirus (EDR)
InTune makes provisioning devices to quick 'n easy.
The IT guys life is much better, far less stress.

...I'd hate to go back to on prem servers.

Back