[REQUEST] Reinstall El Capitan without using a apple id?

ell

Reaction score
Hi, I got in a imac with black screen issue on boot, I tried disk recovery,found no issues so I'm thinking of doing a reinstall, things went smoothly until it prompted me for the apple id, put it in but now its asking for security code! this is a 12 yr olds machine, they sent a code to some other device. Anyway I cant I just load 0sx from usb or something without a apple id?

It probably has Find My Mac enabled for the device. They may be able to log into their iCloud account and disable/remove that machine.

It probably has Find My Mac enabled for the device. They may be able to log into their iCloud account and disable/remove that machine.
The dad doesn't care about the data and hes very hard to contact, plus his daughter gave me 5 different passwords, I just need to nuke and pave, can this be done without using a apple id?

The Apple ID is the issue. If the machine was registered to an Apple ID, which is 99.9999999% certain, AND they have Find My Mac turned on and they have 2FA then it will not work without that PIN code. As mentioned elsewhere Apple's 2FA is horrible. I set it up a while ago but quickly turned it off as it was impossible to deal with on the Apple TV.

You can try making a bootable installer, erase the drive, install and you might be able to just skip the Apple ID part. Then the customer may be able to create a new Apple ID to use with that machine. I actually just checked mine and don't think there is a way to make iCloud "forget" that device. To properly deal with it they will need to gain access to that iCloud account as well as go to appleid.apple.com to turn off 2FA.

This is one thing I give Apple credit for. It's virtually erased the market for stolen Apple equipment.

The Apple ID is the issue. If the machine was registered to an Apple ID, which is 99.9999999% certain, AND they have Find My Mac turned on and they have 2FA then it will not work without that PIN code. As mentioned elsewhere Apple's 2FA is horrible. I set it up a while ago but quickly turned it off as it was impossible to deal with on the Apple TV.

You can try making a bootable installer, erase the drive, install and you might be able to just skip the Apple ID part. Then the customer may be able to create a new Apple ID to use with that machine. I actually just checked mine and don't think there is a way to make iCloud "forget" that device. To properly deal with it they will need to gain access to that iCloud account as well as go to appleid.apple.com to turn off 2FA.

This is one thing I give Apple credit for. It's virtually erased the market for stolen Apple equipment.
geez, thats nuts, I'm going to try and wipe the drive and see if I can reinstall el capitan, fingers crossed

You should be able to get it started. I just don't know how they track the computers. If they use a signature based on the existing hardware you may not be able to use a different iCloud account.

You should be able to get it started. I just don't know how they track the computers. If they use a signature based on the existing hardware you may not be able to use a different iCloud account.
well, so far not so good, I formatted and tried to reinstall, still prompting for apple id, I'm going to try and boot el capitan from usb now.

So did you boot from a USB copy of the installer, use Disk Utility to erase the disk, then install the OS?

I've done that many times and never run into what you're seeing. If it's a machine that I'm going to sell or otherwise don't need an Apple ID with it I tell the setup to skip that part. I've not seen what Mark is describing with Find my Mac. Also, I've seen at least one Apple ID where I couldn't turn off two factor authentication.

A lot will depend on when the machine was made. If it's one that has the recovery partition in the firmware there's not much that can be done if 2FA is turned on other than getting access to the other device listed for PIN codes. If it was before that, basically machines that came with 10.6 or earlier booting from a USB installer and repartitioning the drive will get rid of the recovery partition and may let you skip the Apple ID part.

If it's one that has the recovery partition in the firmware
When someone says "recovery partition" I think of a 5GB partition on the primary hard drive of a Dell for example, that has an image of the factory install. I've never looked deeper into the hard drive on these Macs. Do they have a similar partition that's hidden on their drives? Or are you referring to storage reserved in the "BIOS" or some type of on board memory?

When someone says "recovery partition" I think of a 5GB partition on the primary hard drive of a Dell for example, that has an image of the factory install. I've never looked deeper into the hard drive on these Macs. Do they have a similar partition that's hidden on their drives? Or are you referring to storage reserved in the "BIOS" or some type of on board memory?

This is how it's progressed over time with Apple as best I can remember. Machines shipped prior to 10.7 only had recovery CD's. Beginning with 10.7 they shipped with firmware that would go out to Apple to download the OS image if there was not a recovery partition on the drive. In that sense the recovery partition beginning with 10.7 was like those with Dell or HP. If you upgraded a pre-10.7 machine with anything after it will create a recovery partition which has the full recovery utilities. But since it's not in the firmware thats why replacing a HD requires a bootable installer. At some point down the road the new machines, still coming with the recovery in firmware, seemed to "loose" the ability to do a non-Internet based recovery from a partition on the drive. I maybe be wrong on this as I don't do a lot of break fix these days but every time I've run a nuke and pave on a newer machine I've had to have a Internet connection. But I've never done any specific testing. Of course using a bootable installer is a totally different thing.

no getting anywhere, downloaded a el capitan installer, put it on usb , seemed to go ok til a got a not valid error, googled i just had to use terminal to correct the time, fail.

no getting anywhere, downloaded a el capitan installer, put it on usb , seemed to go ok til a got a not valid error, googled i just had to use terminal to correct the time, fail.
I've seen the fix of using Terminal to set the time when the error is about "unable to reach recovery..."

I recall having lots of similar problems with recent installers. How did you put the El Capitan installer on a USB drive?

agh, this is just going from bad to worse, when I originally powered it up all I got was black, it quit but now its back to black, just when I got a new osx 10.11 usb boot made, agh. I only have a pc keyboard so I've been using the alt key to get to recovery but now all is black, it still chimes on boot though, sigh.

have you tried a PRAM reset and SMC reset? although without the apple id you won't be able to finish installing the Mac OS (no matter wich version...)

have you tried a PRAM reset and SMC reset? although without the apple id you won't be able to finish installing the Mac OS (no matter wich version...)
screen came back on for unknown reason so I managed to get osx 10.11 installed from usb, I stepped out and came back and final setup was running I could tell because it would talk to me when I wiggled the mouse and asked if I wanted to use narrator for setup. I powered down and I did a PRAM, (windows-alt-p-r) keys but still just chime then black screen again. I tried unplugging it and holding power button in for 30 seconds, reboot, chime, black. I'm thinking its more of a hardware issue now too because usb keyboard and mouse aren't always lighting up. Anybody know of a good mac hardware test prgm?

Back