Pricing for Windows 10 Updates Post-Expiration in 2025

They don't seem to realize that tools are available to "pick up and port" the vast majority of everything they're used to over to a new machine, and at far lower cost. Things like Fabs Autobackup make this a cinch.
I just "glanced" at Fabs Autobackup. Are you using it to migrate clients into Windows 11 from older versions or just to and from identical OSs? I read somewhere that Win 11 doesn't tolerate tweaking tools as well as previous systems. For example, StartIsBack is (reportedly) disabled with the newest Win 11 update.

So, to pull this back on topic...

Please be aware, that the Extended Update Service for any Microsoft operating system, requires an OS license that has Upgrade Assurance built in.

That is to say ON TOP OF the costs of the ESU itself, you're also going to have to buy a copy of WIndows 10/11 Enterprise, because no other variant of the OS license contains upgrade assurance. AND... you'll quickly find that all the Enterprise SKUs are UPGRADES and Home isn't eligible for upgrade ever.

Which is yet another reason why home users will never buy this, it's a violation of the EULA to do so. Not that they'd pay for it anyway... buy a new computer, it's cheaper.

So, to pull this back on topic...

Please be aware, that the Extended Update Service for any Microsoft operating system, requires an OS license that has Upgrade Assurance built in.

That is to say ON TOP OF the costs of the ESU itself, you're also going to have to buy a copy of WIndows 10/11 Enterprise, because no other variant of the OS license contains upgrade assurance. AND... you'll quickly find that all the Enterprise SKUs are UPGRADES and Home isn't eligible for upgrade ever.

Which is yet another reason why home users will never buy this, it's a violation of the EULA to do so. Not that they'd pay for it anyway... buy a new computer, it's cheaper.
Wow. Never realized that. Thanks for the heads-up.

0Patch doesn't provide updates you aren't entitled to get via Windows Update. It will not "make safe" out of support versions of Windows.

It will give end users easier access to out of band patches, which are sometimes released for out of date OSs, but it is no replacement for having an OS under support.

0Patch doesn't provide updates you aren't entitled to get via Windows Update. It will not "make safe" out of support versions of Windows.

It will give end users easier access to out of band patches, which are sometimes released for out of date OSs, but it is no replacement for having an OS under support.

I understand where you're coming from with your comments. Upgrading to supported versions of software is always vastly better than running unsupported versions. However, we know life isn't perfect and 0Patch would provide more safety than going "commando" so to speak.

I would also contend that it takes a great deal of technical sophistication to do the job which 0patch is doing and I support maintaining that expertise outside of the huge corporations like Microsoft.

In other words, 0patch may not be a good choice for the vast majority of our customers but I'm glad they are still an option.

I understand where you're coming from with your comments. Upgrading to supported versions of software is always vastly better than running unsupported versions. However, we know life isn't perfect and 0Patch would provide more safety than going "commando" so to speak.

I would also contend that it takes a great deal of technical sophistication to do the job which 0patch is doing and I support maintaining that expertise outside of the huge corporations like Microsoft.

In other words, 0patch may not be a good choice for the vast majority of our customers but I'm glad they are still an option.
You're not wrong, but what I'm pointing out is that 0patch cannot give you ESU updates. They're advertising those patches, and yet... they cannot legally deliver them.

Though it's possible there are rights in the EU applied to the consumer than we don't have here in the US.

You're not wrong, but what I'm pointing out is that 0patch cannot give you ESU updates. They're advertising those patches, and yet... they cannot legally deliver them.

Though it's possible there are rights in the EU applied to the consumer than we don't have here in the US.

They don't patch or otherwise manipulate the files on disk as supplied by Microsoft. They actually adjust the code in real time as it's loaded into memory.

They don't patch or otherwise manipulate the files on disk as supplied by Microsoft. They actually adjust the code in real time as it's loaded into memory.
So it's a ring zero root kit... Because those are always such a great idea!

This isn't helping things... it's making them worse and injecting a whole new series of supply chain risks into the platform.

There is value in the product, I just don't see it as a functional replacement for running out of date code. It's not hard to keep Windows current, and if that march is too much, switch to Linux. It's a different matter if something special is going on that prevents this process, but users just being old and stubborn doesn't apply.

I personally have not enjoyed Win7 or Win10 like WinXP but can't clutch to that and any use of it now would be on an isolated retro machine for retro purposes. I am heavily leaning toward and actively looking at and toying with converting myself to linux for my daily driver. I really only do a handful of things with my PC I no long am into and playing brand new big title video games needing the hardware or software investment that I was did. I honestly have more fun squeezing out as much efficiency in my systems than I do the building top end like I did 10-20 years ago I also enjoy open source and the tinkering that comes in many the Linux systems reminds me some of the old DOS days. With so many options and so much of it free there is no more big cos of the OS while being more free with update paths and able to change flavor more easily should a UI change be disliked.

I will say I am like @ThatPlace928 for my customers I will support what ever you pay me to support however the older it gets the less options there are to achieve the customers goal and the more costly it can be and/or the less secure or higher risk the customer will have to accept. I often find at a certain point I offer that a replacement and migration w/ basic introductory training(if really applicable) will cost just X amount more or less accordingly and provide a mountain of benefits. I suspect Windows systems will remain in my house hold as I am not certain my wife will make the change and I would have to look into certain software to possibly get my son to change to linux though he could learn it I believe.

I have Windows everywhere in my house for three reasons.

1.) M365 runs my life, and there is no OneDrive client for Linux.
2.) Windows browser support for most websites is simply superior.
3.) Gaming on Windows is vastly better supported.

Option 3 really extends to all entertainment purposes. If I could perform all my tasks on Linux I'd already be there, but I can't... OK well I CAN but the amount of time it takes me to modify those processes is vastly more than the cost of just buying a Windows license. That time is also the driver for freshening up my platform itself.

It still stinks though when you have elderly people specifically, because you know they are at an age where they won't get 5 years out of a new PC investment, but they also have to replace the machine. These users I really try to move to tablets if possible, less expensive, less risk, and the ROI actually makes sense.

So I feel your pain @Blues, but I don't have a great solution for all edge cases. It's very difficult for individuals to fight the force of history in this space.

It's very difficult for individuals to fight the force of history in this space.

And if you are in the business that we all are, your primary client base, and bread and butter, is firmly rooted in Windows.

You let your current Windows skills atrophy at your own risk. And having once been fully proficient with Macs, Unix, and Windows, I can assure you that if you are not actively using any given one of those, you will become rusty, quickly, whether you want to or not.

Even as an almost exclusively Windows user and tech for decades now, I can't remember most of what I once knew about older versions of Windows. You either use it or lose it.

There are 2 other options I hadn't given much thought.

One would be to use the registry hack and install Win11 even though the hardware doesn't support the later TPM modules. I can't see this option having much use, but perhaps it could buy someone a bit of time.

The second option is to leave the machine alone but remove Internet connectivity. This might be an option where some business application needs to be allowed to run. I continue to use this option for one business for their Quickbooks POS machines that didn't want or need the Internet on them.

Back