Microsoft plans to kill malware delivery via Office macros

Well, I have a payroll company that is having major issues with this. Lots of people use macros and they email the files to them. Sadly lots of places do not have secure email so the files are now being tagged as not secure and can't be run. I have them saving the files to the desktop or other secure location like OneDrive so they can open the files. If the files are digitally signed via O365 there is no issue. It's the loads of companies that use stupid free email and stand-alone O365 that are causing the issue.

I have a client that is having major issues with this today. Is there a setting in Office 365 admin or security center to restore the old behavior? @YeOldeStonecat or @Sky-Knight HELP!!! Trying to not have to remote into 30 workstations and fix this.

I have not seen where it's a setting from the 365 tenant.
However you can over rule the setting by managing "Trusted Locations"....within Trust Center.

I know there are registry edits you can script out to add to each office apps trusted locations.

Trusted locations are not a problem. They were just used to being able to do this from inside of Outlook. One-click. Now it is multiple steps and it's piss!ng them off. It's a payroll company and I am fighting hard to not change it for them but I want a method if they stupidly insist.

There is no method to change this behavior, and after cleaning up a single EMOTET that came from this... I'm saying it's WORTH IT.

I haven't had any phones ringing yet, and when it starts this is going firmly in the tough, grow up and adapt pile. These Macro's have been dangerous for ages.

Emailing macro enabled files is a bad business practice, and has been such for an EXTREMELY long time. If you need to move such files around it's probably better to use a Team for that.

Back