Microsoft Defender (NOT Windows Defender) - Is there any way to make it stop with the email messages?

britechguy

Reaction score
After subscribing to M365 Family, I thought I'd give the much ballyhooed Microsoft Defender a try. Well, I've begun to regret it, and I'm really glad I didn't also set it up on my partner's machine or he'd be constantly bugging me about the email messages Microsoft Defender is sending.

Virtually every single one is that a threat has been found, and in my case, it's always a "low level" one for stuff I already know about. Any time Windows Security/Windows Defender shows a little yellow caution overlay on its icon, I check to see what's going on anyway. I don't need email messages coming in to go with this, particularly since it's a direct rehash of what's in Windows Security/Defender.

But I can't find a way in Microsoft Defender settings to kill the email. Is there one?

I don't have any direct experience with the personal M365 plans, all I have is this: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/m...igure-email-notifications?view=o365-worldwide

Which I don't think applies, because you can't get at your tenant. Which means you're stuck with defaults...

If you're using an Outlook.com email that's getting these, you can always use an Outlook Rule to file the notifications into a subfolder, if you set that up correctly Exchange does it before it lands in your mailbox and your phone won't pop. It doesn't stop the mails, but it does put them where you'll only see them if you care to look at them.

The messages are coming to one of my Gmail accounts.

I know I could use a filter to shuttle these to a folder, and will probably end up doing that. I was just hoping there was a way to shut these off completely.

Just for amusement I referred to the page you gave the link to, and tried to go to the Microsoft 365 Defender admin page for the fun of it. Here's the error message that comes up:

1691165332645.png

@britechguy Yeah because you'd be trying to access the Defender Admin portal for the pseudo tenant the Family plans live in, that doesn't really exist is my guess.

Back