Microsoft: Outlook email sending issues for users with lots of folders

The article is vague, is it Outlook itself or Exchange? If Outlook, then does it affect pop, IMAP or Exchange, or all 3? Good grief, good share though, I'll keep my eye on it.

Saw that over the weekend and braced for calls today, but so far none received...

I would hope that most of us wouldn't be getting calls on this one. The conjunction of circumstances needed to trigger the dumpster fire shouldn't be commonly occurring.

I have 135 folders under the inbox myself....wife has more.
From the previously referenced MS page:
  • Reduce the number of folders which have subfolders to under 500. We recommend no more than 450 nested folders while we continue to investigate.

How many users have anything near to 500 folders, let alone 450 with nested folders?

I love, love, love using file systems of all sorts as a filing organization system, but if you're at 500 folders with hundreds of nested folders beneath those you are at the very far extreme of the bell curve. I've dealt with lots of Outlook over the decades in all sorts of settings, and I've never once encountered a configuration like what is needed for things to become problematic.

How many users have anything near to 500 folders, let alone 450 with nested folders?
I agree - never ran into anyone with that many folders - thank goodness. This is why I could never be a developer. Can you imaging having to support such hairbrained behavior? No wonder there are 50M lines of code in Win11!

Can you imaging having to support such hairbrained behavior?

No, and yes. I have had to deal with similar hairbrained behavior, but when confronted with it what I do could not be considered "supporting" it. Clients who do such are counseled, in no uncertain (yet businesslike) terms that they must undo this mess, and pronto, and the exact "how" of the rearrangement is a business decision, not an IT one.

If they need my hand holding to actually accomplish the undoing, then I'm more than happy to supply that and bill for it. Usually, after sufficient practice with what needs to be done with the initial part of the effort, they can take it from there.

I consider it an ethical obligation to NOT allow a client to do whatever they want to do when whatever they want to do results in both short term and long term issues. Fix it, once, then walk away with a very happy client who will come back. Band-aid it, and they may come back another time or two, but they'll leave if issues keep recurring that you could have eliminated by doing what needed doing to begin with.

My role is not "IT lunacy enabler."

Didn't get any calls. I have helped clients with 24,000 folders, 13,000 folders and many of my big hitters have over 1000.

The more folders, the more these clients make me so it's up to them how they want to manage their data.

Back