Marshall Michigan gives ISP's walking papers

coffee

Reaction score
Marshall, Michigan is a smaller city located in the southern part of the state of Michigan. The population is about 10,000 residences. However, They had a problem with Internet access. It seemed the only internet access was a company out of Grand Rapids, Michigan providing DSL and an other company providing cable line internet access. However, The cable lines in the city were in pretty bad shape and outages where very common with both providers. Comcast, Which would not touch the situation most likely because of the cost of re-cabling the whole city would not consider providing service. Therefore, For years Marshall suffered from poor internet access which hampered much of the residential and business needs. However, About a year ago Marshall finally got fed up with the situation and got smart.

Marshall, Michigan made the impressive decision to provide their own internet service. When this news came to me via a very large client in the form of an email I was at the least stoked. Providing remote support in the area was a virtual headache for me. Connecting remotely to servers and workstations in the area meant very slow screen refreshes and a lot of dropped connections. Therefore, Marshall decided they would give the local ISP's their walking papers to never return to the city.

This plan took a long time to complete. Most backbone equipment was in short supply as it was all being shipped to the southern states to rebuild from hurricane damage. Therefore, Acquiring the equipment needed certainly delayed the project several times. However, As of yesterday I am happy to report that Marshall FiberNET is now live servicing not everyone yet but most of the downtown district and residential area.

Friday I was called up to Marshall to oversee the installation of MFN at a business that I have been servicing for quite some time. I was happily greeted by not a cable run from the street but an actual fiber line right into the building and a beautiful new modem/router.

Basically, I had to switch over the server to the new service from the decaying ugly cable service they had. Normally its just a quick "Switch the network cable to the new modem and reboot for most residential customers" however, The office server handles many functions that the fiber modem provides. One being the DHCP service. So, We had a bit of an issue that was corrected by a single phone call, Talking to a real person and in english. I instructed them to turn off their DHCP service on the router. This was completed in at the most 10 minutes. This was a far cry from needing support from the old ISP which could take up to a day for even business clients (residential clients, Sometimes days!). After that was finished the network came to life and a speed test was done. The speed test was amazing - 100 down and 100 up with a static IP address!

The effect was immediate in the office. All the employees where asking "Hey, I cannot believe how fast our system is now!". Smiles started showing up on the employee's faces instead of the dreary dull looks that were common with the old ISP. Cost of such a connection you might ask? Well, 100 up and 100 down with a static IP on fibernet runs about 150.00 a month. Very affordable for businesses considering their needs. This service plan is their most expensive too. Lower speeds with a dynamic IP are available at very competitive prices compared to the competition. It seems Marshall made the right decision.

Since Marshall owns all the infrastructure right down to the lines heading into the customers, This effectively locks out any competition in the area. None of the current ISP's (or comcast for that matter) wants to replace the older cable runs to provide their service in the area. The only viable solution for those that want fast and dependable internet is thru MarshallFiber. Of course the cost of doing this is extensive. However, Marshall will benefit from this many years down the road. Also, This will provide an avenue for me to expand my remote support in the area and be an attractive asset to many new small businesses in the area.

Good Job Marshall!
https://marshallfibernet.com/

The next town over runs their own ISP and electricity as well.

I take it you are talking about Battle Creek. Well, Yes. But they are much larger than Marshall. They also have AT&T / Comcast ect... They too have gotten tired of all the *rap from the major ISP's. However, I dont know how long they have been running theirs or anything else about it.

This is a major step for Marshall though.

Thanks, :)

Good for them. There are many cities that are joining the Internet ISP game to counter the big ISP's.

Chattanooga, TN provides internet for it's citizens and it has changed the economic landscape there. New York citizens are setting up super nodes and UniFi equipment.. Change is in the air.

I take it you are talking about Battle Creek. Well, Yes. But they are much larger than Marshall. They also have AT&T / Comcast ect... They too have gotten tired of all the *rap from the major ISP's. However, I dont know how long they have been running theirs or anything else about it.

This is a major step for Marshall though.

Thanks, :)

Oops... I guess I left out a couple of important words, "over from me". LOL!!! As in Shrewsbury, MA. But it's good to see towns trying to do their own thing. Small places get lost in the stats. But the flip side is when their too small minded. My sister lives in Mountain View, AR. Only one small company providing ISP and CAble TV and it's really bad and expensive. DSL for Internet, she gets like 900k/150k and she's only a mile from the CO.

Oops... I guess I left out a couple of important words, "over from me". LOL!!! As in Shrewsbury, MA. But it's good to see towns trying to do their own thing. Small places get lost in the stats. But the flip side is when their too small minded. My sister lives in Mountain View, AR. Only one small company providing ISP and CAble TV and it's really bad and expensive. DSL for Internet, she gets like 900k/150k and she's only a mile from the CO.

Before the new internet my client was getting possibly 15 down and about 5 up. This was divided between 10 workstations, A server and some smart phones. It was real 'peanutity' as my brother-in-law would say :)

Just checked this morning and I see the client is offline from the internet. This is probably because I have to set the default gateway in their linux server. Friday I had them turn off DHCP on the router as the server runs its own DHCP service. If that is the problem then it would have been immediate I would think or when lease time runs out (?). I guess I will check into this Tuesday. Did kick out an email to my contact but they will be probably out for holiday (they work alot though).

Just a glitch with the new modem/server connection. Something to expect a bit I guess. The old modem was a straight modem and no router/wireless included.

coffee

Side note: I cannot wait to get their remote access started now and straighten out their email issues with 3rd party email service. They keep hitting their qouta on storage with this email provider. So, Iam looking into setting up possibly an email relay to just pull everything from the provider and storing it locally. They have siteground for the email provider. I think my first step is to register a domain name for their static IP and then figure out the best way to do this. Hesitant on doing an actual email server because of the constant security measures and such.

I also plan for a VPN for their remote access.

This should be a fun project once I get their internet connection fixed :)

That is fantastic news!

Its a real shame when people don't take quality of internet more serious. I had viable solutions for problems with power and water but internet not so much, I have a backup isp and such but that doesn't prevent the swap from temporarily disconnecting me. When I was younger I loved gaming online many hours per week but nothing will make people turn on you faster than being a lagger, honestly as ridiculous as it sounds bad quality internet is easily in the top 5 most stressful things i've ever had to go through.

That is fantastic news!

Its a real shame when people don't take quality of internet more serious. I had viable solutions for problems with power and water but internet not so much, I have a backup isp and such but that doesn't prevent the swap from temporarily disconnecting me. When I was younger I loved gaming online many hours per week but nothing will make people turn on you faster than being a lagger, honestly as ridiculous as it sounds bad quality internet is easily in the top 5 most stressful things i've ever had to go through.

+1 to this!!

Having to work across a remote connection that is 15/5 and sharing it with others is quite an ordeal. Takes you so much longer to accomplish simple things like refreshing the screen. :(

Some day when we are REALLY old we can tell grandkids about the days of dialup and slow "Broadband" internet :)

coffee

I'm for free market etc, but over in Illinois, our town has this setup where they provide their own electricity and have their own TV and internet/phone system. They do compete however with spectrum and others. I don't do much business support as I have a full time IT job.

However, I will say for at home, we pay 30 dollars a month for 40mbps. Spectrum for example is about 65 a month for 200mbps. Used to be 100mbps, but the 200 I think is the slowest speed they offer. Of course they pull the stunt of low prices the first year then up the price on you. For streaming live TV it's fine for us.

Got a good friend of mine who just got into cord cutting as he is a big sports fan, but was paying charter 180 a month for internet and TV service, apparently it was about to go to 210 per month. Showed him YouTube TV and he's saving around 100 a month.

Tried convincing him to switch to the internet service I've got and save more money, but he says he needs his speed... Yet he's being limited by a cheap 35 dollar router that only allows him about 40mbps per second on WiFi anyway, which is what he uses..... So he's effectively paying double for service like I've got. Either way, he likes YouTube TV and Roku since he's saving about 100 a month and still gets all his sports channels.

100 up and 100 down with a static IP on fibernet runs about 150.00 a month.

Wish I had that. I have the best most expensive internet available via Comcast in my area. I pay about $140 for 1,000Mbps download and 35Mbps upload with unlimited bandwidth. I'd kill for a 100Mbps upload speed. Screw the 1,000Mbps download. It's so fast that it doesn't make a difference. I only got it because it was the only way to get the 35Mbps upload speed. I run about a dozen cloud based IP security cameras so upload speed is pretty important. I mean, a gigabit download speed is pretty neat, but other than that giddy feeling you get when you run an internet speed test, there's just no way to really make use of those kinds of speeds yet. I'd rather have a 100/50 than 1,000/35.

Is yours a residential connection or business? I see you mentioned unlimited bandwidth. Perhaps you ment no data limits instead which leads me to believe you have a business class?

Im looking at upgrading to business class because I need some things like the increased upload speed and static ip.

Added: I am also on comcrap ;)

That ship sailed a long long time ago by web hosts so it is acceptable to say unlimited bandwidth when used to describe no data transfer limits.

Unlimited Bandwidth does not make any sense to me. You cannot have unlimited bandwidth. You can have unlimited data or caped data.

In computing, bandwidth is the maximum rate of data transfer across a given path.

Unlimited Bandwidth does not make any sense to me. You cannot have unlimited bandwidth. You can have unlimited data or caped data.

In computing, bandwidth is the maximum rate of data transfer across a given path.

We know, but its too late, bandwidth has been used to describe data limits for a long time now and its still being used today. For example:
upload_2018-6-17_10-47-4.png

Edit: I'd fight it too if there was such a thing as unlimited bandwidth because then that would be super confusing but since unlimited bandwidth is impossible ill stick to fighting things like saying "computer crash" to describe damn near everything xD.

Last edited:
Is yours a residential connection or business?

I checked out business class connections, but in my area at least, there's very little difference between residential and business class connections when it comes to speed. Comcast can't offer me more than 35Mbps upload speeds no matter how much I pay them, on residential or business. And a 1,000/35 business class connection is about $700/month. Business class just doesn't make sense in my area. The other two ISP's have a maximum speed of 20/5 and 10/1 respectively, Comcast is pretty much it unless all you do on the internet is read the news and send email.

On my connection, mine is residential. I was pretty much told no data cap, that I could use it all day every day and no change in my charges. For 40 Mbps for 30 a month I'm good with that. Though I could get faster, this works for our needs.

My town has their own fiber network. Started out connecting city buildings, they expanded to the schools and hospital, then to businesses. Recently they did a pilot program for fiber to the home. We are getting close to it actually happening.

Back