Liquid Cooling for the First Time - Help

Appletax

Reaction score
I'm looking to build a new system in the near future and am interested in liquid cooling but am very intimidated by it.

Here's the system I want to build:
  • Intel Core i7-7700K Overclocked
  • EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
  • Asus Max IX Formula (Liquid Cooled VRMs with CrossChill)
  • Samsung 960 Pro PCI-e SSD 512GB
  • G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB DDR4-3200
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 T2 Titanium or SeaSonic 750 Prime
  • Sleeved PSU Cables (Red)
  • WD Black 5TB HDD
  • Corsair Crystal Series 570X RGB Case
  • Windows 10 Pro
I used the EK custom liquid cooling configurator and came up with:
  • EK-CoolStream SE240 (Slim Dual) - Mounted on the top
  • EK-XRES 100 SPC-60MX PWM (inc. pump)
  • EK-Supremacy EVO-Nickel CPU Block
  • EK-DuraClear 3M Flexible Tubing
    • I have a heat gun, so I could do hard tubing, but it seems like it'd be very challenging to figure out where exactly how to bend them so they're the perfect length & shape
  • EK-ACF Fitting 10/33mm - Black x8 (Compression Type)
    • They're all straight - none of them are at an angle
  • EK-Ekoolant EVO Blood Red (Concentrate 100ML)
  • EK-ATX Bridging Plug (24 Pin)
  • EK-Cable Pump Testing Adapter
  • EK-Cable Y-Splitter 2-Fan PWM (10CM)

What do you think of this config?

I wonder if it'd make any difference if I were to upgrade to their EK-CoolStream SE 360 (Slim Triple) radiator, which would be positioned in the front, and upgrade to a larger pump/reservoir, such as the EK-XRES 140 DDC 3.2 PWM Elite (incl. pump).
  • Bigger radiator + bigger, faster pump/reservor

I've read that you should place silicone on the ends of the tubes to prevent leaks. See here:
https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/131803-tips-for-water-cooling-enthusiasts-to-prevent-leaks

Last edited:
As @Porthos implied, do your homework. When I worked on drilling rigs I dealt a lot with hydraulics, etc. Granted the environment is very different certain things carry over to other situations.

We never used adhesives, such as RTV, to leak proof any system that had any pressure. As long as the hose and nipples are compatible with the fluid/gas hose clamps are the sure thing.

On the fluid type. Remember, it's a fluid first. And fluids follow gravity, like all over the bottom of the case, desk, etc.

Plenty of good AIO's out there. I like Thermaltake. Good quality.
I've built plenty of gaming rigs and used Thermaltake without any problems.

I really can't say I recommend liquid cooling for this getup.

The 7700K's do not overclock well at all, mainly because they start to get very hot, very fast.
That's due in large part thanks to Intel doing a crappy job applying thermal compound to the
actual die of the CPU... and it doesn't transfer heat very well to the IHS at all. Your not going
to get much out of it for all that money spent on the custom cooling loop.... if and when you
ever need to disassemble the system for any reason, it becomes so much more of a PITA.

I recommend a good air cooler, and if you want to OC then seriously think about deliding that
CPU and putting on some good stuff, fix intel's mistake.

These things already turbo up to 4.2ghz IIRC just out of the box.

I really can't say I recommend liquid cooling for this getup.

The 7700K's do not overclock well at all, mainly because they start to get very hot, very fast.
That's due in large part thanks to Intel doing a crappy job applying thermal compound to the
actual die of the CPU... and it doesn't transfer heat very well to the IHS at all. Your not going
to get much out of it for all that money spent on the custom cooling loop.... if and when you
ever need to disassemble the system for any reason, it becomes so much more of a PITA.

I recommend a good air cooler, and if you want to OC then seriously think about deliding that
CPU and putting on some good stuff, fix intel's mistake.

These things already turbo up to 4.2ghz IIRC just out of the box.

I will delid :D

We don't put water cooling in our customs anymore, we have seen way too many liquid cooling failures and fried chips. If its going to be overclocked we use Noctua fans which achieve the same thing without the risk imho

We don't put water cooling in our customs anymore, we have seen way too many liquid cooling failures and fried chips. If its going to be overclocked we use Noctua fans which achieve the same thing without the risk imho

Perhaps a full EK WB custom loop would be of such a high quality that if setup just right there'd be no issues with leaks and fried chips, yes?

My current rig has a Noctua but I can't stand the color anymore so I would definitely look into either a different heatsink or a Noctua heatsink with fans from a different company.

Back