[REQUEST] Is this SSD bad?

ell

Reaction score
Hi, I like to use hd tune for hd testing but this has me scratching my head. Asus aspire 5 with 128 gb ssd nvme, no boot device bsod on boot, boot to winpe and everything looks fine in file mgr, files intact, windows, etc. scan for bad blocks clean, but then I get this hd tune benchmark scan, anybody verify its bad or do you know of better tools for testing ssds these days?

20230912_073737.jpg

Hi, I like to use hd tune for hd testing but this has me scratching my head. Asus aspire 5 with 128 gb ssd nvme, no boot device bsod on boot, boot to winpe and everything looks fine in file mgr, files intact, windows, etc. scan for bad blocks clean, but then I get this hd tune benchmark scan, anybody verify its bad or do you know of better tools for testing ssds these days?
I use CrystalDiskInfo but I'd just try a new drive anyway as it's a low cost part.
If it doesn't boot with a new one that's another story.

Reactions: ell
I very rarely test drives these days. As mentioned they cost so little while testing, especially large spindles can take forever. But when I have I'll use at least 2 tools. Preferably one being from the manufacturer. Learned a long time ago that using software to test/diag hardware is iffy. Full of false positives and negatives.

Too obvious, I finally managed to boot to a win 10 usb and ran system restore to the only restore point available labeled: "Quick Driver Restore Point" , its fixed 😄😏

I had a PC come in yesterday, a refurb I sold a number of years ago (Optiplex 3040 with i3-6100). It was extremely slow to boot even though it has an SSD, took 15 mins or so, even with the secondary HDD disconnected.

The SSD is a TeamGroup GX2 that Crystal Disk Info reported as 99% health, only a couple of thousand power-on hours and a few TBW.

Crystal Disk Mark performance test showed it is slower than a HDD, only 50MB/s! Other than that, files were copied from it without issue except lots of time. I used quite a few Team GX2 drives in refurbs some years back, stopped using them when I had a few come back with weird issues like this.

These days for low cost 2.5" SSDs I usually use WD Green 240GB, never had a problem with those, and for bigger capacities (500GB-2TB) I use Crucial MX500 or WD Blue or Samsung Evo, no problems with these.

By the way, out of interest I though I'd try TeamGroup's SSD utility to check it's health. Their utility looks very similar to Crystal Disk Info, I assume they've licensed it from Crystal Dew World. Scrap that... I just noticed CDInfo is open source! I never knew that before. Team must have taken the code and changed the layout a little so it looks different.

I now use DiskGenius.
Even just the free version is able to grade the drive performance that can show a borderline cases where though the drive passes manufacturer's diagnostics, one can see why it's unstable.

Why would anyone run a read test on a drive to test all the sectors instead of making a sector-by-sector clone of the SSD which will both test and backup the SSD? 128GB @ 200MBps is about 10 minutes.
she didn't care about her data, I just wanted a quick test to see if it needed replacement, she was happy she didn't have to get a new ssd (young college kid)

Back