BSOD SSD drive troubleshooting

ell

Reaction score
Hi, I just thought I'd see if anybody had any other ideas I can try here before I nuke & pave this one. I have a custom win 7 pro system with a 64 gb ssd with windows on it and a 1 tb sata. I did find some malware which I removed. I ran full hardware tests, clean. The bsod hes getting is:

Stop: c000021a {fatal system error} the windows logon Process system Process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000012f (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

I checked the crash dumps any they are old so it is not recording a log with the current bsod. Bsod with all options, safe mode, last known good, etc. Dart does not find issues with sfc. Start up repair just give the usual can't determine cause msg. Noting of interest in event viewer either, theres a flash at boot something about no hard disc, but all drives are listed in boot options (f8) This is a newer asus mobo too. The only thing I haven't tried is the bios has an option to boot to efi hard drive but I doubt thats the issue. Any other ideas I can try?

Random BSD's? Every time at boot? I've read some articles where people have updated the SSD drivers in windows to get rid of those issues.

Its at every boot, he hadn't used the pc in a couple months then turned it on and got it ever since. How to I update the drivers if I con't get into the operating system? I suspected a corrupted hotfix so I tried to uninstall the latest from dart but it hangs trying to load the updates.

If it hangs at every boot your options are limited. Have you tried to reflash the BIOS? How about changing the HD mode in bios? I would also try to clone the SSD to another drive and see what happens.

If it hangs at every boot your options are limited. Have you tried to reflash the BIOS? How about changing the HD mode in bios? I would also try to clone the SSD to another drive and see what happens.

I like your idea about cloning the sdd, I have already imaged both drives and all partitions, I think I restore it to one of my extra satas, thanks, that would at least confirm if it is the sdd.

Well I restored the ssd windows drive image to a sata drive in my bench pc and got the same bsod. So that rules out hardware or bios issues I guess.

Yes, I've seen those, one thing he mentioned was he was having trouble logging into his account too, so this line "That message usually indicates that your winlogon.exe file is corrupted. It is not missing or you would be getting this error:" would make me thin the winlogon is corrupted, not sure what I can do about that though, maybe try and create a new user somehow offline.

I enabled it with the command prompt but it didn't help, finally nuked & paved and all is good, I just always hate to give in!:mad:

You could have spent hours replacing files. It might have been winlogon.exe or it might have been some related DLL(s). If they had not used for several months then nuke and pave was probably the best thing to do.

yes I knew it would be, whenever I have a new bsod come in I can't crack I'll spend hours on it (only when I'm slow ofcourse!) I can always use the practice working with windows reg keys etc. I hate to just nuke & pave, its too easy.

Back