Five Great Tools To Predict And Prevent Hard Drive Failure

Personally I think the thread is a total waste of time and space.

Dont get me wrong, Im all in favour of people posting new, interesting finds that will appeal to the community. Its one of the things that makes TN a nice place to spend time.

I just dont see the point in reiterating information that already is common knowledge, which is abundantly available here and elsewhere.

And yes there is a history here of this guy linking to his own blog and also posting information of an 'educational' nature that was just bad advice.

Maybe its just the Nick and a picture of someone "teaching" along with a history of questionable technical expertise that just irks the hell out of me.

Glad I got that off my chest. I feel better now....

As you were, Randy, Im sure my opinion wont make any difference to you making these posts. Nor should it! :p

While I do agree with most everything you are saying, "common knowledge" is a little subjective. Had I read this statement a few months ago, I would not be saying this, but it seems that things that should be "common knowledge" or "common sense" just is not the case for most techs on this forum. Most techs on this forum are still pretty green and reiterating or summarizing information like this make things a little easier to find in one place. That said, I do not know his history or the advice that he has given in the past and I do agree with FoolishIT that none of these tools will prevent hard drive failures (that did bother me as well) as much as they may prevent data lose by having an early warning system. Anyways, those are just my thoughts on this thread.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the very interesting comments. I totally agree that I used a poor choice of words in the original post title. It is impossible to actually prevent Hard Drive failure.

A better title would have been something like:

Five Great Tools To Help Predict Hard Drive Failure And Prevent Data Loss

Anyway, I hope that someone was able to benefit from the use of one or more of these tools.

Also agree on the great Steve Gibson program file SpinRite. I actually wrote a blog post about SpinRite a while back. Awesome product!

Best wishes,
The Tech Professor

Back