Don't have your CAT5 strippers?

My thoughts exactly. If I didn't have my strippers, I would probably use a razor, or my knife, or my teeth. I would not go through the trouble of mcgyvering that contraption.

Lol, That's brilliant. Does it work on PLENUM as well as PVC? That sweet smell of burning PVC (hydrogen chloride). It may or may not be toxic, best hold your breath.

All you are doing is softening the plastic. Soften then pull off. If you actually burned it you would burn you fingers pulling off the insulation. Of course, not being a smoker any more means I don't carry around a lighter any more.

Strippers?

stripper.gif
Sorry couldn't resist.

All you are doing is softening the plastic. Soften then pull off. If you actually burned it you would burn you fingers pulling off the insulation. Of course, not being a smoker any more means I don't carry around a lighter any more.

Oh. Well that's less interesting. I was planning on just burning it all down to the the bare wire. I guess now I can stop trying to find the flamethrower setting on this Bic...

They do work surprisingly well too for such a simple/cheap tool. The punch-down part of the tool is useful too, despite the lack of 'punch' and cut action. I even use these instead of my punch-down tool when space is just too tight to get the punch-down tool in.

I also find them useful for checking connections after punching down. You can use them to go back over connections and give the wires another push to make sure they're all the way in. And, unlike a proper punch-down tool, because you're just manually pushing on the wire you can 'feel' if the termination is good.

I've never used a cat5 stripper. I have always used my pocket knife to score the insulation lightly without cutting through and pull the insulation and it snaps at the score. It only takes a second. I find I have more control with the knife over the strippers.

lol had them, maybe I got a xcheap ass version but broke on first strip, I just use my AlO tool View attachment 5590
I have 2 or 3 similar tools, one of which I always keep in my on-site box of network termination stuff, which I throw in the car when I'm planning to terminate some network cables. It's the unplanned stuff that the cheapo little plastic strippers/punchers are useful for. Since they're small cheap and light enough to leave one or two in my glove box, laptop back, coat pocket, etc, I've always got one to hand even when I've left my network termination box at the office.

I've never used a cat5 stripper. I have always used my pocket knife to score the insulation lightly without cutting through and pull the insulation and it snaps at the score. It only takes a second. I find I have more control with the knife over the strippers.
I think that's what I did, too. It's been so long since I've done any wiring. And yes I have a tool kit full of the necessary networking tools. I think the main tool I used was similar to one pictured but I used it to crimp the connections. I also have a punch-down tool which came in handy for some wall plates that had that ability. But no more for me. If I were to run into something that needs wiring done, I find someone much younger and in better physical shape than I to do the work.

Interesting. Ideal datacom cable strippers are what I normally use, and they look very much like a clothespin. Next item would be electrician free-fall snips. Finally a good sharp pocket knife as others suggested.

Back