Desktop showing icons for all files

ell

Reaction score
I had a Windows 8 computer come in a couple weeks ago because the desktop was showing icons for all of her documents and pictures. I did the right- click to change the view/icons it would not work ended up doing a system restore to recover the correct shortcuts. no viruses or malware present now she calls again today it's changed back again has anybody seen this kind of issue before? I ran ckdsk and sfc.

I have not seen this in 8/10 but try creating a new user profile and see if you still get it. If not then I would think a corrupted user profile.

Yeah thats what im thinking, I remember when I rebooted the last time it was fixed, then I tried to sort the icons and they all appeared, couldn't switch them back without doing a system restore.

This is getting weirder, I did a system restore to get everything back the way it should be, created a new user, made a fabs backup while everything looked right, copied the data over, rebooted and the new user had all the items on the desktop now too. Ran tweaking.com, chksdk, sfc, all fine. Deleted the desktop items from the new acct and imported the fabs data-now thats all showing on the desktop now too! One thing I'm noticing is fabs backed up and restored public user data, common desktop,pictures,music, etc. don't know if thats normal.

Back