WiFi dropping on two different USB adapters

carmen617

Reaction score
Cleanish install, put in a new SSD and fresh copy of Windows 10 a few months ago in a consumer grade HP desktop. Client calls to tell me she's been having this problem "since she got the computer back", so not sure if that's accurate but have to take her at her word. Problem is frequent dropping of WiFi, pretty random but seems to happen in 15 minute to half hour increments. Running the troubleshooter reestablishes the connection, but it will drop again sooner rather than later. Based on discussion with me, client purchased a new WiFi adapter and it has the exact same problem.

What I've tried so far - checked for spyware/malware, NetAdapter Repair All in One, reset Windows network settings, unchecking "allow computer to turn off this device to save power" in power management, deleting all USB hubs, uninstalling the network adapter cards, checking for updated drivers for both network adapter cards, upgrading BIOS, creating a new user account, SFC, and Windows Repair All-in-One. What I'm thinking of trying next is installing a PCI WiFi adapter and seeing if that has the problem as well, as I don't get drops when connected via ethernet.

Anybody know what I'm missing here and have any ideas for me? Obviously can nuke and pave but would hate to do that and still have the problem.

Don't be too quick to assume that the computer's the (only) source of the problem, at least until you've tested it on a known-good wireless network. Preferably a 20MHz-bandwidth one on Channel 6.
It's in my shop now and problem persists. I spent an hour watching it do this at the client's house and trying the first part of my list, before taking it with me.

Where did the adapters come from? And I'm not being xenophobic when I complain about cheap chinese junk. Because all of it comes from China. I'm talking about who made it, which is what really matters. Recently we had several refurbs DT's we bought with wifi. They came with brand whatever usb devices. Two of the three exhibited those exact same symptoms. And we did it all, including nuke and pave. Picked up a Netgear at Worst Choice or Staples, problem solved.

Where did the adapters come from? And I'm not being xenophobic when I complain about cheap chinese junk. Because all of it comes from China. I'm talking about who made it, which is what really matters. Recently we had several refurbs DT's we bought with wifi. They came with brand whatever usb devices. Two of the three exhibited those exact same symptoms. And we did it all, including nuke and pave. Picked up a Netgear at Worst Choice or Staples, problem solved.
One is a Netgear, one is a Belkin.

What antivirus is the customer using? I had an incident where the AV was being overly aggressive and blocking all internet traffic. Disabling it didn't help; I had to do a full uninstall. The network connection then worked without issue.

Just a follow-up - PCI adapter seems to have done the trick, installed one 24 hours ago and no drops since. Thanks for all advice!

Back