Cannot move Samsung Notes from Galaxy J3 (2016; Android 5.1.1) to Galaxy A33 G5 (Android 13)

InitOrNot

Reaction score
So I have a trusty old Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016) which runs Android 5.1.1, and which I need to replace because my banking app says it will not run anymore on it being so old.

Therefore, I have gotten a new Samsung Galaxy A33 5G (Android 13).

Also, in my old Samsung phone I've been happily using its native "Notes" app for seven years, and in that Notes app I currently have about 1,000 notes, classified in several categories, to which upkeep I have devoted HOURS and HOURS.

My problem: I cannot find any way to move/transfer my Samsung Notes from my old phone to my new phone.

Things I have already tried, without success:

1. Backup my old phone to my Google Account using the old phone's native Backup functionality inside the phone Settings. Yes, this backup gets done, but the new phone (which uses the same Google Account) does not show such Google Account-based backup to restore from it. So I guess the "Google Account"-based backup functionality in the old phone only works to restore to the same old phone?

2. Backup my old phone to a Samsung Account. Not possible, because such an option does not exist in the old phone Settings.

3. Backup the old Samsung Notes app from inside the app itself. Not possible, the old Samsung Notes app does no have a built-in backup functionality.

4. Sync-to-Cloud the old Samsung Notes app from inside the app itself. Not possible, the old Samsung Notes app does not have any built-in sync-to-cloud functionality.

5. Use Samsung's "Smart Switch" app to transfer data from the old phone to the new phone. So I got that app installed on both phones, and they see each other, and the data transfer "begins" and then when it reaches "100%" it shows and error saying - more or less - "not all data could be transferred, please backup the data from inside each app you want to transfer". And it lies not, for no Notes get ever transferred though the Smart Switch app.

The only way I see forward is sending to myself by email everyone of my 1,000 Notes. I hope I could avoid that. So here I am asking for help.

Any suggestions are very much welcomed! THANK YOU.

I use Notes on my cell phone all the time. When I had to replace my phone, I was worried about losing my list of grandkids' birthdays and their favorite stuff. I honestly don't know how I did it but, when I turned on the Notes app on the new phone, everything uploaded by itself.

Maybe you have too many items to transfer all at once? Is there a way to transfer them to your computer via the phone's charging cord, then transfer them a few at a time to the new phone?

This may help, one of these two options.

Use the Samsung Notes Desktop App:

Or, move the notes manually to the "samsung notes" folder:

This may help, one of these two options.

Use the Samsung Notes Desktop App:

Or, move the notes manually to the "samsung notes" folder:
Thanks for the links.

The first one does not really apply, it looks like it is intended to use the "Samsung Notes" android app in a Windows PC.

The second one is of no help, as it warns that the *new* Samsung Notes app saves its notes to the Samsung Cloud instead of saving them to the phone's internal storage.

Back