App(s) to collect an SMS (AKA text messaging) stream to copy/paste elsewhere

britechguy

Reaction score
Today I was working with a new client who lives in the Apple world, which I do not venture in to very often. The main reason I mention this is because he has an iPhone, and that may be pertinent. But it is not my intention to limit the conversation to iDevices as Android is of interest as well.

I know that there have to exist apps that would allow someone to copy and paste the entirety of an SMS exchange between two or more people from one's phone so that it can be saved elsewhere. I know that law enforcement has the ability to extract SMS exchanges from a phone, but I have to believe that this capability exists for the owner of phones, too.

In looking on the iPhone 14, and on my own Android-powered device (Android 12), I do not see such a feature built in to the native UI. This leads me to suspect that multiple apps exist, and, of course, that some will be much better than others. Since this is a group where it's likely that multiple members may have experience with this, I thought I'd seek opinions and recommendations.

Good question, most girls who are doing their own FBI work just screenrecord the entire thing so they can share with their friends 🤣

but I found this, seems to work
To copy an entire text conversation, press and hold a message in the conversation until the options appear. Step 3. Click "More" and click the checkbox to select all of the text message conversations. Then tap the "Forward" button, send to your own email.

It sends an email with the information, hit my junk folder of course.

Good question

Might I ask what phone (and OS version on said phone) you're using? I don't get the "More" menu in my case, and was actually looking for that this afternoon.

When it comes to Android, at least, it's amazing what the Droid gods giveth, and taketh away, as versions march along.

The easiest "no app" (on the phone) way, and the way I go about it is using Windows "Phone Link" (Android or iPhone) if I don't need to copy a "whole convo" into text - per say - that being said - by virtue of using Phone Link, Phone link keeps the conversations. But, it'll only let you copy one convo-bubble at a time.. so maybe not what you're looking for.

{Samsung Only?)
The Samsung Smart Switch App will allow you to backup your SMS's (and other data) to an external storage device - just as it will another phone... and with the Smart Switch PC App, to the computer.

I have no idea if Smart Switch App on PC allows for viewing/reading texts after the backup in plain text (Prob a database/android file) - but it might be a step in the right direction. Maybe there is some 'translation' software after the fact.

Might I ask what phone (and OS version on said phone) you're using? I don't get the "More" menu in my case, and was actually looking for that this afternoon.

When it comes to Android, at least, it's amazing what the Droid gods giveth, and taketh away, as versions march along.
I can confirm what @callthatgirl said. But just to be clear. First you need to go into the sms thread, then tap and hold a message, I had a window popup that had 4 lines, reply, copy, translate, more. Tap more then you get checkboxes to the left of each message in the thread. Have to select them individually. Bottom right corner you'll see the forward arrow, select that and you'll get a new email window. Mine is iOS 15.5.

Back