AM5 motherboard price gouging

Galdorf

Reaction score
I checked the prices on new am5 motherboards seems they are listing over $600+ and no cheaper was thinking of upgrading to ryzen 7950 but it seems cheapest mb is well over $600 cad think i will wait a while for prices to drop.

Yea AM5 CPUs won't release until end of September and I don't see any boards out. Pretty sure this happens every socket launch, boards will be high then go down.

I just finished updating my 4th gen i7 with an AM4 Ryzen 5000 series. AM5/Intel 13th gen and Nvidia 4000 sound like they're going to be a overpriced and unstable dumpster fire. DDR5 already is. I have no desire to jump into this pile of sh*t. They're gonna start pushing the new power supply standards soon too. No thanks. It's gonna be a bloodbath and a huge mess even worse than Intel ARC GPUs. If you're thinking about upgrading, I recommend you do it now while you can still get AM4 and DDR4 stuff new.

waiting on my i7-7700K (at 4.7 GHz all core)/Z270/32 GB of RAM/Samsung 960 EVO/GTX1060 to at least 'not seem quick any more' before planning an upgrade...; so far that has not happened, as it still seems just as fast /responsive as when assembled more than 5.25 years ago.

(I will watch what happens with Intel's 13th gen and AMD's 7000 series comparisons with great interest... but as I've not even launched my one game of Battlefield 1 in probably 3 months, it might take the alleged upcoming price drops on RTX3000 series might trigger, and some very compelling performance lifts to make me upgrade, which would then relegate this system to TrueNAS or OpenMediaVault duties.)

With no Windows 11 support the time to upgrade that was a year ago. As a technician you need to be running the latest OS so you know how to support it. My 4th gen i7 was the only computer I had left that was too old to support Windows 11 so that's why I upgraded it. That and 32GB of RAM just wasn't enough even for this light duty system. Along with going with a Ryzen 5000 series CPU I also upgraded the computer with 128GB of RAM. At only $400 it's not a difficult decision to max out the RAM. I mean, heck I had a system with an i7-7800X and I put 128GB of RAM into it. Back then the RAM cost me like $1,500 or something so $400 is a steal.

Back