Advertising...

PcTek

Reaction score
I'm currently considering various forms of advertising, and would like to know if anyone out there has an idea of the best type to use? My local paper is running a 1x1 add in the service directory for $184 dollars. A radio station with .5 million listeners wants to charge $660 for one month of advertising. Business cards... T.V.? Of course I'm in the phone book, what other ways could I advertise, and of all the media suggested which is the best? I noticed that on the cia world fact book, there are over 68% of the general population utilizing the internet from a p.c.

Always a tricky subject to ask for advice with!

Ask at least 20 people where they would look to find services such as yours, don't push them into an answer though - that will give you an idea how people think, you can't answer this questiion yourself!

Focus on a small area at first and get your name out there, try and offer something for free - something that people will remember you for and talk about. Lots of small affordable adverts everywhere is better than one huge advert in one place.
Have thousands of leaflets printed and get the local children to deliver them for you - maybe go out early morning and find all the newspaper boys and girls and get them to add a leaflett to each delivery. Every spare minute you get, walk the streets and deliver those leaflets. Ask the local stores to display them on their counters, offer them a free hour when and if they need you!
Recommendation is clearly the best, offer a free hour of your time for anyone who sends you 5 new clients.

Follow this for about 3 months, make sure you ask every caller where they found your number and record it - after 3 months you'll know which advertising works best, then invest more money into that!

Leaflets definately work for me, I usually get one job from every 50 delivered also a must: is a company website!!!

I never have had business cards as I think they are a waste of money, just give them a few leaflets.

One other thing is stickers, get some small good quality stickers made up with company name, phone number and your name - make sure to stick one on every computer you see. People lose leaflets and throw them away - that sticker will be there for years!!

Good luck!

We have a 4 page article on just this subject. This article is based off my own experience and some fellow techs:
http://www.technibble.com/how-to-advertise-your-computer-business/

As Andy-Always said, start small and focus on a small area. My own ads only stretch about 10 suburbs.

As mentioned in the article, keep tweaking your ads to see what works best. Sometimes turning the ad from "black text and white background" into a "white text and black background" ad can really make the difference.

Last edited:
One other thing is stickers, get some small good quality stickers made up with company name, phone number and your name - make sure to stick one on every computer you see. People lose leaflets and throw them away - that sticker will be there for years!!

----

I really like Andys above tip, I had never thought of that before!

Nice one Andy thanks for sharing!

:)

Back